Now stop screwing around and add some examples!
open/close all folders
- Archie Comics sometimes shows the students going to Shop.
- In Dicey's Song, title character Dicey is disappointed when she's forced to take home economics (where she and the teacher mutually dislike each other) instead of mechanical drawing, which is what she wanted to take.
Film - Live Action
- The Breakfast Club: Brian discusses how he took Shop for the easy A it would give him, managing to insult Bender's intelligence while he did it. The class was much, much harder than he anticipated, and he panicked when he realized his grades wouldn't recover.
- A Kid in King Arthur's Court references shop class when Calvin is instructing the local blacksmith on how to make something for him.
- Blacksmith: How does a boy know so much?Calvin: Metal shop. Eighth grade.
- In The Adventures of Pete & Pete, Pete is placed into Shop Class.
- One Hundred Deeds For Eddie Mc Dowd shows this as being Eddie's only good subject after the episode revolved around the main character's dad almost becoming the new shop teacher and being extra hard on his son despite the fact that he was very competent.
- The "female takes shop because she's a tomboy" situation is used in Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, where wood shop is Jennifer Mosely's favourite class.
- An episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 has the short Why Study Industrial Arts?, which inspires Mike to set up a shop class of his own. It doesn't work out well: Tom can't use the equipment because his arms don't work, and Crow accidentally cuts himself in half.
- In an episode of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, the boys take Shop. Cody, the smart twin, assumes it will be a breeze but finds that he can barely nail two pieces of wood together. Zack, the laid-back, slacker twin creates masterpieces.
- In Home Improvement, Tim Taylor had his former shop teacher appear as a guest on Tool Time. According to the teacher, Tim was as error prone as a kid as he is as an adult.
- Smallville: Brainy kid Ian Randall couldn't get anything better than a C in shop class... and killed the teacher to cover it up.
- Red Dwarf has Rimmer mention that he took woodwork. It took him five terms just to make a single tent peg.
- Have I Got News for You makes frequent reference to Paul Merton's one academic qualification: O Level metalwork. And he didn't even do all that well at it.
- On The Wonder Years, Kevin is unhappy to be given shop class and assumes it's a mistake. His teacher agrees to let him out of class if Kevin can beat him at arm wrestling. Kevin's shop class is shown in two later episodes.
- One episode of Frasier had Fasier and Niles taking an auto shop evening class. Totally at sea, they became the Class Clowns, and end up getting expelled. They reflect that they now understand the frustration that caused the "back row hooligans" they hated at school to act out.
- Shop is one of the classes in Bully, although you only work on bicycles. When Jimmy enters, the teacher tells him that "Cars are for seniors".
- The KOLHS challenge path in Kingdom of Loathing has a shop class, where you fight screw golems, out of control bandsaws, deadly vises, demonic jigsaws, and the teacher, who loses a finger every time you fight him (to the point that a trophy is available for removing all of them).
- In Misfile, Emily takes Auto Shop in place of one of the more academic subjects she took last time around. This symbolises her closer relationship with Ash, but also causes friction with Emily's mother.
- In Beavis And Butthead, Beavis cuts his finger off in Woodshop class. And it's Bloody Hilarious.
- In Pepper Ann, Pepper Ann is forced to take Shop class, and fears it because she's afraid of the Sadist Teacher. She then proceeds to form a petition to get it dropped as a required course, only to realize after she succeeded that she liked it, and the teacher was just very stern and not a sadist. She persuades him to return to the school and fix it after it's replaced.
- In King of the Hill, Hank teaches Shop for a while. He also tries to (unsuccessfully) sign Bobby up for Auto Shop.
- In Daria, one of the legends of the mall was of a metal shop teacher with a short temper who was driven crazy by his students. After he ground his teeth down to nothing due to frustration, he made a set of steel dentures that picked up radio signals.
- One episode of South Park focuses on boys taking Wood Shop and girls taking Home Ec. Kenny breaks the mold and takes Home Ec because he fears, not unreasonably, that one of the machines will kill him. His fears become true when the Home Ec teacher, not believing Kenny could get a rich husband (which is what she teaches her students to do), sends him to shop class.
- In the Hercules animated series, Icarus's father Daedalus is the shop teacher at Prometheus Academy. In one episode he considers quitting because the school board won't let him use his own inventions because they're too "edgy," so he is stuck doing the usual mundane shop projects, like birdhouses.
- Truth in Television - many schools did/do offer this; in some schools it is or was required, but sometimes it's an alternative to Home Economics. (Some schools require both.)
- Not to mention, Industrial arts institutes and other such vocational schools exist specifically to teach these.
- This is becoming a bit of a Discredited Trope depending on where you go. Some schools may offer Shop Class, but it isn't required for graduation (like Home Economics), especially schools that focus more on college prep and academics. If there's any big classroom, it's likely to be devoted to Chemistry.
- Outside the United States, where some education systems require a student to choose optional specialist subjects, woodwork and metalwork are subjects that are just as viable a choice as science subjects.