open/close all folders
Films — Animation
Myths & Religion
- In Dungeons & Dragons, aquatic elves and locathah sometimes capture and train Giant Sea Horses and use them as steeds.
- The same for Slaanesh demonic steeds in Warhammer 40,000.
- More than a few merfolk cards in Magic: The Gathering have seahorses. These range from actual, if huge, seahorses to a full-on hippocampus.
- In King's Quest II, Graham does this. They even have saddles. Do the mermaids ride them sidesaddle or something?
- Naija can ride seahorses Aquaria for a boost in speed. There is a mini-game and a corresponding achievement for running a race on a seahorse.
- The city-building game Atlantis Underwater Tycoon has a building, the "Atlantean Castle", that spawns merman knights that ride seahorses to protect your city.
- The Pokémon Horsea and Skrelp (and their other evolutionary relatives), despite being very small, can be taught the move Surf via TM, which lets it ferry its trainer around. You don't actually get to see yourself riding it, due to the game using a generic sprite depiction (A whale-like figure that the trainer sits on) for all surfing Pokemon, though.
- Their fully evolved forms are around 6 feet long and make more plausible steeds.
- In World of Warcraft an early quest in the Vashj'ir zone allows the character to obtain such a mount.
- In Kingdom Hearts 3D, Sora can ride the Tatsu Steed and Tatsu Blaze dream eaters if he performs a link attack with them. Notable in that they're the flying sort of seahorse, and they also move extremely slowly like actual sea horses. The purpose of the move is to use them as a turret of sorts rather then transportation, though.
- Kingdom of Loathing's "Under the Sea" quest was updated to include this. After rescuing the Sea Monkees, you can ask about the currents and you end up n a quest to tame a sea horse, granting you access past the currents and into the Merfolk's city as well as increase combat initiative. Hilariously enough, the sea horse side-quest is also one massive reference to My Little Pony as the seahorse's random name generator produces a pony-like name and it's implied to be as colorful as they are.
- An episode of DuckTales where Scrooge, Gyro, and Doofus visit Atlantis has all of the Atlanteans use seahorses as mounts.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob befriends a sea horse he calls Mystery.
- Naturally, The Little Mermaid: The Animated Series has Ariel tame an uncontrollable purple seahorse named Stormy. Other episodes had merpeople riding seahorses as well. Averted with Herald the seahorse, however.
- Star Wars: Clone Wars featured Mon Calamari riding giant seahorse-alikes and other aquatic creatures.
- No actual riding was involved, but it nevertheless bears mentioning that the original My Little Pony cartoon got in on the act as well with the Seaponies, their debut involving an infamously trippy musical number.
- In the Atlantis episode of Phineas and Ferb, Isabella mentions that she could get an underwater equestrian badge if they find a seahorse. When they come across some, Baljeet brings that up, only for her to point out that they are far too small to ride. After that, Buford rounds several up together and proceeds to ride them.