open/close all folders
- In Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth, Greg the main character says that he is nervous around eggs because of an incident where he dumped devilled eggs into his neighbours' pot plant, leading to them rotting, the neighbours not being able to identify the smell, and moving out. He's never been shown or stated to be afraid of eggs before or since.
- Mr. Men: In her title book, Little Miss Somersault discovers she is afraid of heights, which doesn't show up in any of the subsequent books, or the cartoon.
- Charmed: Barbaras makes Prue afraid of water in one episode, which she gets rid of of her own accord.
- Sesame Street:
- In the episode "Afraid of the Bark", Zoe becomes scared of dogs after Barkley gives her a fright and it goes away by the end of the episode.
- In another episode, Elmo becomes scared of fire due to a fire in the convenience store.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: The episode "Realm of Fear" focuses on a secondary character Reg Barclay's fear of transporters, that goes away by the end of the episode. Reg is quite nervous in general, but this is the only time he was afraid of transporters.
- Star Trek: Voyager: In "One", Tom Paris has to be in stasis but keeps getting out because he has Claustrophobia (because closed spaces remind him of coffins, apparently) and he apparently has always had it, but it's never been relevant before or since.
- 21 Jump Street: When Penhall and Hanson go undercover in a juvenile prison, Penhall reveals to both the viewer and his best friend that he is claustrophobic and gets shipped out. In a later episode, Penhall is in a very small prison and not claustrophobic at all.
- In "Shelter From the Storm", the Brain develops a fear of wind after the titular storm. Leans slightly more towards Played for Drama than other examples, in that he required a psychiatrist, but it's gone by the end of the episode.
- In "April Ninth", Arthur becomes scared of being separated from his father after the father was in a fire. The fear goes away after a pep talk from his dad and a story about a similar experience he had with Grandma Thora being in a car accident.
- In "D.W. All Wet", D.W. becomes so scared of octopuses that she doesn't want to swim. She stops being afraid of them by the end of the episode, and it hadn't shown up previously because that was the first time she'd seen an octopus. She does use a lake of octopi as an obstacle when she writes a story in a later episode as a call-back, but isn't scared of them herself anymore.
- Little Princess: The Queen is scared of heights in "I Want to Be a Queen", which seems to surprise her because when she initially climbs the tree, she doesn't know why she's scared due to thinking she isn't scared of heights, but then she concludes that she is. When the Princess tells her the fear will go away, it does.
- "Down the Drain" focuses on Tommy (who has recently developed the fear) and Chuckie (who used to have the fear, then it went away and came back) being afraid of being sucked down the drain (they're little kids).
- In "The Slide", Chuckie becomes afraid of slides for the episode after being pushed down a too-big slide. His fear goes away after Susie tells him to face it by saying he's a big, brave dog.
- The Simpsons: The episode "Fear of Flying" deals with Marge's fear of, well, flying. While it is justified that it doesn't show up in later episodes, because her therapist helps her come to terms with the phobia, which could well have made it go away, it's odd that it didn't show up before, because she travels by plane in previous episodes such as "My Lisa Goes to Washington", and the incident that made her afraid of flying happened in her childhood.
- Spongebob Squarepants:
- In one episode, Spongebob is afraid of clowns, which is odd, because, not only was he never afraid of clowns before or since, he actually likes them in a previous episode "Krabby Land".
- In "One Course Meal", Plankton is afraid of whales, which he never seemed to be previously or later.
- In one episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), Leonardo was scared of snakes. They were his greatest fear in fact, until the end of the episode, by which he is no longer scared of them. It was never mentioned until that episode.