Hyperspace Holmes Hat
A form of Stock Shoutout
to Sherlock Holmes
, in which a character (usually of the Cloud Cuckoolander
variety), when confronted with a mystery of some form, spontaneously produces a deerstalker hat out of nowhere and starts rattling off deductions.
The other characters are rarely surprised by the hat's presence, and in some cases, the hat might simply be part of an Imagine Spot
and not actually there.
and Distinguished Gentlemans Pipes
in the case of child or childish
characters) can also be used for the same purpose. It may also be accompanied by a large magnifying glass. The key elements of the trope are:
Subtrope of Offscreen Reality Warp
, Hyperspace Wardrobe
. Compare Sherlock Homage
Anime and Manga
- In the Kare Kano anime, when Aya is trying to convince Yukino and Maho to star in her play, they take comically desperate measures to avoid her. At one point she's shown wearing a deerstalker hat and smoking a pipe while deducing their next hiding spot.
- Cilan of Pokémon Best Wishes, a generally over-the-top character, does this whenever he gets to participate in one of his beloved mysteries.
- In her manga appearances, Reimu is known for pulling out a deerstalker and capelet whenever there's a mystery afoot (particularly in Wild and Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery). Notably, due to Gensokyo's isolation it's unclear whether Reimu even knows who Holmes is, or just picked up the detective thing through Popcultural Osmosis.
- Kasen briefly dons the deerstalker and cape in one chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit as well.
- Forbidden Scrollery has Kosuzu dressing as another fictional Great Detective, Kosuke Kindaichi, in order to investigate Kokoro. In this case it's justified in-universe as a drab outfit intended to help her stay incognito.
- In episode 3 of Himouto! Umaru-chan R, Umaru gains the deerstalker while watching an Expy of Detective Conan and resolving to solve the mystery faster than the main character.
- Doctor Who:
- The Doctor manages to rustle up a hat and matching Inverness cape to impersonate Holmes when he confronts the Great Intelligence. Then again, he was in the Victorian Era at the time, so he possibly could have just gone out and bought them. This was a Mythology Gag to the Fourth Doctor story "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" where the Fourth Doctor decides to go around in Victorian London in a cape and deerstalker, even though his usual outfit is Victorian-era appropriate.
- DuckTales (1987): In "A Case of Mistaken Secret Identity" (the title itself is a parody of the Sherlock Holmes story "A Case of Identity"), Huey, Dewey and Louie go into a closet under the stairs, coming out a few seconds later dressed as Sherlock Holmes - each with deerstalker hat, inverness cape and oversized magnifying glass.
- Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender does a bubble pipe variant. Katara wonders where he got it from.
- Pinkie Pie, in an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic manages to summon not only a deerstalker and Bubble Pipe for herself, but also a bowler hat for her "lowly assistant who asks silly questions," Twilight. The two of them swap hats and roles frequently throughout the episode.
- Because Chip is a huge fan of Sherlock Jones stories, he's able to produce the deerstalker hat, shoulder cape and magnifying glass from hammerspace in the Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers episode "The Pound Of The Baskervilles." Chip's detailed knowledge of plot points in Sherlock Jones stories helps the rangers locate the missing will of Howard Bask, the creator of Sherlock Jones.
- In the second act of the Mr. Bogus episode "Museum Madness", Bogus briefly wears a deerstalker's cap as he starts following a trail of paw prints on the floor which leads him to the Doberman that had been chasing him earlier. When the Doberman chases after Bogus again, Bogus loses the cap.
- In a Peanuts animated special Snoopy dons the deerstalker when on the trail of Woodstock's missing nest.
- In an episode of Babar, Zephyr produces a deerstalker by turning his usual hat inside-out.
- Beast Boy does this in the Teen Titans episode "Apprentice, Part 2".