Cartoon characters get all the cool abilities. They can bounce back from Amusing Injuries
, bounce off walls like rubber, and pull random stuff out of Hammerspace
. Then there's this. Cartoon characters seem to carry alternate outfits in Hammerspace. But, they rarely have to reach into their hyperspace pouch to change clothes. They can run offscreen and return with an entirely different wardrobe on, they can spin in place to change clothes, or something can pass in front of them to reveal their changed outfits.
to Changing Clothes Is a Free Action
, which generally involves changing into a particular costume. Please put examples of super hero costume changes on that page. Hyperspace Wardrobe
should contain examples of non-heroic costume changes. Compare Convenient Color Change
, where no clothes are changed, but their color does.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The Mask: The mask literally grants the wearer the powers of a cartoon character and features all three varieties.
- In Ernest Saves Christmas, Ernest has a bunch of costumes that were ready to be of use but came out of nowhere.
- Undercover Brother. The title character somehow does a costume change while jumping through a window. Watch it here.
- Maggie in The Great Race. The only other way she could have that many outfits while running a globe-spanning auto race is if she has a wardrobe truck following her just offscreen.
- In Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Pee-Wee apparently has the ability to insta-change both his own clothes and someone else's simply by saying, "I have a plan..."
- We see the sidekicks being taught how to do this in Sky High.
- In Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Scott walks into his bathroom, and comes out in a completely different outfit, all before the Seinfeld Laugh Track is done playing.
Live Action TV
- In the opening credits of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Sabrina would pose in front of a mirror and zap herself into different wardrobes. Of course, this is justified in that it's done with magic.
- The Blues Brothers Band do a super-fast costume change for Cab Calloway to lead them in Minne the Moocher. They change back in the blink of a camera cut afterwards.
- Both Superman in Lois and Clark and Wonder Woman in Wonder Woman change clothes by spinning. In both cases (except for the pilot episode of Wonder Woman, where she emerges from the spin with her street clothes over her arm) the clothes they're wearing simply vanish.
- Featured in Toon, naturally.
- Characters in Animal Crossing can change clothes with a backflip.
- The Sims do the spin in place thing when they change clothes.
- The alchemist Zandria apparently has a spell for this in Kyrandia 2. At the end of every area, her outfit either gets damaged or becomes environmentally incorrect, so she snaps her fingers to summon a new one. Towards the end of the game, she comments that she's running out of spare outfits in her wardrobe spell.
- Skin Horse: Tigerlily Jones appears to have this power.
- Jade, Kanaya, and Dirk from Homestuck use Wardrobifiers that remotely modify their clothes.
- El Goonish Shive: Nanase gained a spell that lets her do this.note She admits it's a pretty useless spell.
- Sarin of The Dragon Doctors keeps a lot of "emergency clothes" in warped space for assorted incidents, mostly transformation related.