open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- A more friendly version is featured in one episode of Lupin III; it has Fujiko clinging precariously to the side of a moving train. To get her off, Zenigata smacks her hands with a flyswatter.
- In One Piece during an invasion of a marine base where he's split up from his crew, Luffy ends up hanging over a ledge. This leads to a gag sequence where an entire horde of marines try stomping his hands while he uses his rubber powers to quickly shimmy across the ledge.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bakura drops Atem into a gorge by doing this, causing the Memory World to go dark. But Atem's not dead, just unconscious. In the anime he stomps on the edge of the cliff Atem's hanging off of, causing that to fall and take him with it.
- In a episode of Deltora Quest, Dain has Leif hanging off the edge of a large staircase. He feigns helping him up and then stomps on Leif's fingers. He then pulls Leif back up to fight some more.
- In episode 10 of Isuca, Sakuya is hanging off a roof, while the villain walks up and taunts her, before stepping on her fingers and repeatedly twisting her foot. Luckily, the villain takes her foot off Sakuya's fingers, only to attempt to ram a pointed staff into her eye. Although Sakuya willingly lets go of the edge, only to be caught.
Films — Animation
- Near the end of Monsters, Inc., Randall starts stepping on Sulley's hands while he is hanging onto the edge of a door. However, before he can do so, Boo is able to stand up to Randall and save Sulley.
- The Lion King:
- Scar claws Mufasa's paws while the latter is hanging from a cliff.
- He also does it to Simba during the final battle, but Simba gets the strength to lunge back after the "I killed Mufasa" revelation.
- In Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World, Ratcliffe does this to John Smith and actually makes him fall off the building, though he survives.
- A variation of this happens in Happily N'Ever After, Rick is clutching the edge of a pit, which causes the villain Frieda to drive her staff into his fingers to get him to let go, although she is thwarted.
Films — Live-Action
- Happens in Spy Kids 3 when Juni falls off his Mega Race bike and manages to grab Rez's. He asks Rez to help him up, but Rez twists his foot on Juni's fingers until Juni lets go.
Juni: Hey Rez! Gimme a hand!
Rez: How about a foot?
- In the Star Trek reboot, Kirk is hanging off the edge of the Romulan drill, and a Romulan keeps attempting to stomp on his hands. Until Sulu runs the Romulan through with his sword, that is.
- Variation in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: As Indy is desperately holding onto the cannon of the Nazi tank, Colonel Vogel grabs a shovel and starts hitting Indy's hands with it.
- In the 2000 movie 'Hell Swarm', Billy is kicked from a broken fire escape by Julia, although he manages to grab onto the edge and hang off. However, Julia steps on his fingers and tries to make him fall. Billy then pulls out a gun before he loses his grip and shoots Julia.
- In the 2004 adaption of Thunderbirds, Alan is hanging off a catwalk above the Hood's drill. The Hood then starts stepping on Alan's fingers but is thwarted by his niece Tin Tin who uses her powers to overpower him.
- In the 1959 film North By Northwest, it sees the protagonist holding onto the edge of a cliff while attempting to help up a woman. Another man appears, who is then asked for help by the protagonist. However, the man decides to step on the protagonist's fingers and get him and the woman to fall. Although he is later shot by a sniper in the distance.
- In the 1988 movie Scary Tales: Night Elevator, a man is hanging from an elevator shaft, and then has his hands stood on by a woman in high heels, sending him falling to his death.
- In the 1999 movie End of Days, Arnold Schwarzenegger's character, Jericho, is thrown through a window before grabbing the edge and hanging off it, several stories above the street. Gabriel Byrne's character, Satan, steps on Jericho's fingers before giving him a second chance at telling him what he wants to know.
- In the 2014 movie Muppets Most Wanted, Kermit the Frog is hanging from a helicopter as he tries to save Miss Piggie from the evil Kermit. Evil Kermit then proceeds to stomp on Good Kermit's hand, although Kermit still manages to climb into the helicopter.
- In the sixth The Witcher book Tower of the Swallow, one of the servants of the Big Bad tries to chase Ciri across a frozen lake. The ice breaks and as the man hangs on the edge trying to pull himself out... Ciri skates across his fingers.
- This happens to Dakin in Lynne Reid Banks's The Farthest-Away Mountain. To one hand. She talks her assailant into pulling her up rather than stomping her other hand and letting her fall.
- In the beginning of Oath Breaker, Thiazzi does this to Bale when the latter hangs for his life. The fall kills him.
- Conn Iggulden's dramatisation of the life of St Dunstan of Glastonbury has the rogue-who-became-priest sentenced to death for murder. The monks of his abbey elect to carry out the sentence by throwing him off a high cliff. Dunstan refuses to play ball and clings on to the lip off the cliff by his fingertips. The abbey blacksmith is summoned with a sledgehammer...
- In The Adventures of Superman episode "The Human Bomb", the Villain of the Week steps on Jimmy Olsen's hands as he hangs from the Planet building's ledge. Jimmy falls and has to be caught by Superman.
- In Alcatraz, a variation happened to Rebecca's partner in the backstory. He jumped over to a roof while pursuing a felon and didn't quite make it. He's hanging onto a wire bolted to the roof when the felon runs back and kicks him loose, leading to his death.
- In the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episode "Redemption", Detectives Hawk and Stabler corner a criminal on a rooftop, who is hanging from the edge. Hawk repeatedly steps on the suspects fingers, although has a change of heart and asks Stabler to help him pull the criminal up.
- Stargate Atlantis: This is reversed in "The Prodigal" when hero Teyla shoves bad guy Michael off the top of the Atlantis main tower. She then kicks both of his hands from the ledge so he falls to his death.
- In an episode of The Wild Wild West entitled 'The Night of the Arrow', Jim is hanging off a ledge in a cave. Aimme comes along and steps on his fingers, sending him falling onto a lower ledge.
- In Shinobido if you're detected while hanging from a ledge the enemies will try to stomp on your hands making you fall.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Bokoblins can do this to Link if they spot him hanging on a ledge.
- In Resident Evil 4, Krauser will do this to Leon as he's dangling off a ledge. An Action Command is needed to knife Krauser in the leg and give Leon a chance to pull himself back up.
- In Metal Gear Solid, if Snake is hanging off the edge of Metal Gear Rex, Liquid will stomp on his fingers. Letting him do this too much will cause Snake t fall and die.
- In a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas called 'End of the Line', CJ's brother, Sweet, is hanging off the end of a firetruck ladder as the antagonist speeds down a freeway. A cop will get out of the truck, walk to the end of the ladder where Sweet is hanging and proceeds to repeatedly stomp on his fingers.
- In a mission in Grand Theft Auto IV called 'Ivan the Not So Terrible', the protagonist Niko chases a criminal named Ivan who was stealing from Niko's cousin, Roman. Niko chases Ivan across a construction site, which eventually leads to a rooftop chase. Ivan accidentally runs off a broken bit of a fire escape and grabs the edge, hanging several stories above the street. Niko can then either help him up, or kick him off. If kicking him off is chosen by the player, then Niko will stomp on Ivan's fingers, sending him falling to his death.
- In Saints Row, the protagonist, Johnny Gat and Benjamin King corner King's ex-girlfriend Tanya, who double crossed Ben earlier in the game. They shoot at her, causing her to fall through a window on the top floor of King's building. As she clutches the edge and pleads for help, King tells her to 'die with dignity'. King then steps on her fingers and sends her falling hundreds of feet to her death.
- In the Merrie Melodies "Tale of Two Kitties" short, Catstello (a cat based on Lou Costello) is hanging on a clothesline or cable by his pawtips. Tweety jumps up and down on this pawtips, before pulling them off the line one by one.
Tweety: This widdow piddy went to market...this widdow piddy stayed home...this widdow piddy had woast beef...Weww, what do you know — I wan outta piddies!
- Tweety also did it to Eddie Valiant in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
- He also did it to Sylvester in a later cartoon.
- Bugs Bunny did it to an unnamed bulldog in "A Hare Grows in Manhattan".
- In the Pixar Short "For the Birds", a large annoying crane-like bird is hanging by its claws from a telephone wire, and little blue birds start pecking at them to get him to fall off the wire... not realizing he's holding the wire down like a bowstring and when he lets go they'll all be shot upward.
- This happens in multiple episodes of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. In the episode 'Lone Wolf', Buzz is hanging off a ledge, while the villain steps on both his hands, causing him to fall. However, Buzz is caught by a mythical creature of some sort. In another episode, Buzz temporarily becomes evil and engages in battle with Booster. He corners Booster on a catwalk, which Buzz shoots until it gives way, causing Booster to cling to the edge dangling hundreds of feet in the air. Buzz steps on Booster's fingers, although Booster activates his wings and flies off. In one other episode, Buzz engages in battle with Zurg, who knocks Buzz over a ledge. Zurg unsuccessfully tries to stomp on Buzz's fingers, who repeatedly moves them to avoid Zurg's foot.
- The Simpsons:
- In "Homer's Night Out", Homer walks into a show cage and talks to a belly dancer who he met at a bachelor party. While Homer and the dancer are talking, they are raised high in the air. Homer turns to leave but accidentally walks right off the edge, but quickly grabs it and hangs on for dear life. The dancer walks up to him in high heels and repeatedly stomps on Homer's fingers until he falls down onto the stage.
- In the third segment of "Simpsons Tall Tales", a hobo tells the Simpson family of a story based on Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, which sees Nelson Muntz and Bart portraying the two characters. In one scene, Bart and Nelson are hanging off a railing on a paddle steamer, to which they are approached by Dr. Hibbert portraying a sailor singing "Old Man River", before he jumps on the railing, landing on Bart and Nelson's fingers by doing so, sending them falling.
- In an episode of The Proud Family, Oscar is hanging off a cliff, and then has his fingers jumped on by a squirrel, sending him and Felix falling down below.
- This happens in an episode of Batman: The Animated Series called "The Underdwellers". Batman is hanging onto a pipe, as the villain, Sewer King, proceeds to step on his fingers to make Batman fall into alligator infested water, although Batman is able to swing around and boot Sewer King off the pipe.
- Bluto tries doing this to Popeye in The Paneless Window Washer.