One character has just fallen over the edge of a cliff after getting pushed over by the villain. Fortunately, he is able to grab onto the side of the cliff
to prevent himself from falling to his death. However, the villain, being the Card-Carrying Villain
that he is, attempts to get rid of the hero by stomping on his hands, causing the hero to slowly lose his grip on the cliff that he's hanging on to.
More often than not, the villain misses the hand or the hero grabs their leg with the other arm, resulting in the villain falling instead.
This is a common Villain Trope
that can show up in some forms of media.
is usually implied, if not invoked.
Related to: Kick the Dog
Anime / Manga
Film - Animated
- A more friendly version is featured in one episode of Lupin III; it has Fujiko clinging precariously to the side of a moving train. To get her off, Zenigata smacks her hands with a flyswatter.
- In One Piece during an invasion of a marine base where he's split up from his crew, Luffy ends up hanging over a ledge. This leads to a gag sequence where an entire horde of marines try stomping his hands while he uses his rubber powers to quickly shimmy across the ledge.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bakura drops Atem into a gorge by doing this, causing the Memory World to go dark. But Atem's not dead, just unconscious.
Film - Live-Action
- Near the end of Monsters, Inc., Randall starts stepping on Sulley's hands while he is hanging onto the edge of a door. However, before he can do so, Boo is able to stand up to Randall and save Sulley.
- In The Lion King, Scar claws Mufasa's paws while the latter is hanging from a cliff.
- He also does it to Simba during the final battle, but Simba gets the strength to lunge back after the "I killed Mufasa" revelation.
- In Pocahontas II, Ratcliffe does this to John Smith and actually makes him fall off the building, though he survives.
- In the sixth The Witcher book Tower of the Swallow, one of the servants of the Big Bad tries to chase Ciri across a frozen lake. The ice breaks and as the man hangs tries to pull himself out... Ciri skates across his fingers.
- In The Adventures of Superman episode "The Human Bomb", the Villain of the Week steps on Jimmy Olsen's hands as he hangs from the Planet building's ledge. Jimmy falls and has to be caught by Superman.
- In Alcatraz, a variation happened to Rebecca's partner in the backstory. He jumped over to a roof while pursuing a felon and didn't quite make it. He's hanging onto a wire bolted to the roof when the felon runs back and kicks him loose, leading to his death.
- In Shinobido if you're detected while hanging from a ledge the enemies will try to stomp on your hands making you fall.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Bokoblins can do this to Link if they spot him hanging on a ledge.
- In Resident Evil 4, Krauser will do this to Leon as he's dangling off a ledge. An Action Command is needed to knife Krauser in the leg and give Leon a chance to pull himself back up.
- In Metal Gear Solid, if Snake is hanging off the edge of Metal Gear Rex, Liquid will stomp on his fingers.