Giving "murder by numbers" a different meaning.
A common Film Poster
meant to shock and attract a viewer, the Earth Shattering Poster features the planet Earth being destroyed in an Earth-Shattering Kaboom
, usually with tectonic cracks all along the edges that glow a volcanic red. Occasionally, it's because a gigantic hand, possibly alien and definitely evil looking, is crushing it. Other variants include the Earth being zapped with a Death Ray
, or having a meteor colliding against it.
Needless to say, if the planet ever actually has this happen to it in the film it wouldn't be a case of Inferred Holocaust
; it would be an outright planetary catastrophe that would cause a Class 5 Apocalypse How
Hopefully this will not become Harsher in Hindsight
See also Got the Whole World in My Hand
, Apocalyptic Montage
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The poster for Future War 198X had a flow of lava/blood pouring out of the cracks. In the actual movie, this is mimicked by the shot of earth from space turning slowly red when nuclear bombs are set off in major cities all around the world.
- World War Hulk has several covers of Hulk living up to his title of "World Breaker".
- To further illustrate this, the "u" in the World War Hulk logo is formed by a broken Earth.
- The Red Hulk arc "Planet Red Hulk" has a cover with Red doing the same.
- The cover of Avengers #49 (v3) has Kang the Conqueror impale Earth on his orbital base "Damocles". Kang has never been much for subtlety. That Other Wiki has an image on the article for the arc.
Films — Live-Action
- The image of the Earth cracking was also used in Season 3 of Heroes.