open/close all folders
- The Star Wars movies, particularly The Empire Strikes Back, do this.
- The trailers for the 2009 Star Trek show the USS Enterprise under construction, with lots of welding depicted.
- The viral marketing site for the film showed lots of welding and not much else.
- Iron Man 2 has Whiplash welding in a scene.
- Iron Man has a subversion, the only manual work Tony Stark is shown doing on his armor is precision soldering.
- Makaela in Transformers 2 was welding while helping out in her father's workshop. Turns out to be Chekhov's Gun; she later tortures a Decepticon with the blowtorch.
- Blade Trilogy:
- 10 Things I Hate About You has Patrick welding in his metalwork class.
- The Fast and the Furious has the protagonists welding while building a car.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has Caractacus Potts welding as he's building Chitty.
Live Action TV
- The A-Team would have at least one scene every week of the Team hard at work building something out of scrap metal. Frequently, Mr T's character, B.A. Baracus, would be the one welding it all together.
- As part of the Used Future on Babylon 5, during the Title Sequence we see a worker welding, fixing something on the outside of the station.
- Often seen in the Hard Work Montage in Mission: Impossible, with Barney usually being the one doing the welding.
- Top Gear tends to have sequences where the presenters are modifying a car and there's typically at least one shot of one of them welding.
- Firefly: Kaylee is seen welding while she and Wash are building the ambulance for the heist in "Ariel".
- Averted in several episodes of Burn Notice where Michael and Fiona are seen soldering (usually bomb-related electronics).
- Star Trek: Enterprise. Towards the end of the Xindi War arc the NX-01 Enterprise picked up heavy battle damage, so set builders would be put in Starfleet uniform and do welding in the background of the actors.
- American Chopper of course shows the whole bike building process from start to finish, although the producers still tend to include a lot of manly welding or grinding shots during montages and scene transitions.
- In Cyber Storm, some HERCs are shown being worked on. Naturally, you can see the mechanics welding them.
- In Space Engineers, all construction is performed by welding torches of varying sizes - from handheld devices up to large arrays mounted on ships.
- In Starcraft, if you watch the SCVs closely you'll see that whether they are constructing or repairing, vehicles or buildings, all they ever do is weld. In fact, according to the manual, that's all they can do, since their only tool (or at least, the one that hurts the most when used as a weapon) is a "fusion cutter."
- Team Fortress 2: The engineer update video.
- In Theme Park, engineers repair rides seemingly by walking around them and welding in random spots.
- In Company of Heroes the Engineers use arc welding torches for everything.
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has Samus use the Plasma Beam (and the Nova Beam once she gets that) to weld the wiring on circuit boards.
- The Simpsons will frequently show Homer welding while working on a project, especially if it is something that wouldn't need to be welded (such as a wooden go-kart).
- Once he actually welded something properly requiring such a tool without any mask, burning his eyeballs bright red.
- Sheldon has a couple welding shots in My Life as a Teenage Robot.
- Phineas and Ferb have had at least one.
- The Penguins of Madagascar will always include Rico or Kowalski welding if something needs to be fixed.
- Played for Laughs in The Looney Tunes Show episode "Peel of Fortune". There are flashes of arc welding from the garage and Daffy is shown wearing a welding mask just before he unveils his latest invention... sliced bread!
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold: In "Chill of the Night!", a flashback to Batman's origin shows him using a welding torch to create his first batarang.
- In one Eek! The Cat episode, Sharky suffers a mishap with a lawnmower and has to go to the vet. He freaks and passes out when Dr. Elmo enters wearing a welder's mask and a huge power drill. It's doubly funny because Elmo had been building cabinets in the adjoining room, and that would be the wrong type of protective gear for woodworking.
- The Iron Man second intro shows Stark forging and welding.