Transition is a novel by Iain Banks, first published in 2009.It is based on the premise that a virtually infinite number of parallel dimensions do indeed exist. Set between the dismantling of the Berlin Wall and the destruction of the Twin Towers, Transition centres on a shadowy organisation called 'The Concern' whose members can transport their consciousness into the bodies of unsuspecting people in other dimensions by ingesting a drug called Septus and thus meddle with the socio-political development of other Earths.
This book provides examples of:
- Ancient Conspiracy
- Body Snatcher & Body Surf
- Cloudcuckoolander: Bisquitine, of course.
- Even Evil Has Standards:The Philospher: I do draw the line at children. Some of my colleagues will happily oblige when a child must be tortured to force a parent to talk, but I think this is both morally objectionable and suspect in principle."
- Good People Have Good Sex
- First Contact: Madame d'O's goal is to avoid this
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique
- Karmic Death: And how!
- Knight Templar: several, e.g. Madame d'O
- The Masquerade: Depending on wether you're living in an open or in a closed world a Marsquerade will or will not be in place
- The Multiverse
- Necessarily Evil:The Philospher: "I do not enjoy what I do, though I am not ashamed of it, and it would be no exaggeration to say that I am proud of it. It is something that has to be done, and somebody has to do it"
- Psychic Powers: Trackers, Blockers, Transitioners, Forseers, etcpp.
- Torture Is Ineffective: A torturer/narrator explains that the worst torture of all is just describing what will happen. Later in the same book, torture fails to work, but only because the character being tortured teleports out of his body first.
- The Vamp: Madame d'O, or at least she tries...
- Unreliable Narrator:"Apparently I am what is known as an Unreliable Narrator, though of course if you believe everything you're told you deserve whatever you get."
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: several (e.g. the Christian Terrorists)
- You Did the Right Thing: Creepy when a torturer tells you this
- Edges into Your Approval Fills Me with Shame.
- Zeppelins from Another World: Played with.The Transitioner: "I look up, hoping for airships. I always like when there are airships, but I can't see any." (later, on another world:) "Into the street. Still no airships. Dommage!"