open/close all folders
- In one gag of Calvin and Hobbes, Calvin conspires with Hobbes to perform this prank on someone else, only to fall over on his face when it's revealed Hobbes had already done precisely this to Calvin.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- Casper ties together the shoelaces of the students who teased Kat earlier.
- And then there's Hot Shots! Part Deux:
(Dexter is being rescued)
Dexter: You don't understand. I can't walk... they've tied my shoelaces together.
Topper Harley: A knot. Bastards!
- In Captain EO, Fuzzball does this to the whip-warrior's whips, causing them to crash together.
- Dietrich in V for Vendetta incorporates it into his satire.
- Jeremy from Slick does this to people all the time.
- Number 5 from Short Circuit pulls this on Newton while Newton is looking over the changes to Number 5's wiring.
- In Unseen Academicals, Dr. Hix, the Unseen Academicals' official evil wizard does this in the football crowd, both because it helps him move through the crowd and because it's the acceptable level of evil by university statute.
- In The Two Ronnies serial "Done to Death", Piggy Malone is being held at gunpoint by the murderer, when he realises his sidekick Charley is under the table. He manages to write "Tie shoelaces together" on a card, and drops it where Charley can see it. He then manages to distract the murderer, knock the gun out of his hand, and bluffs him into making a run for it, only to find that Charley misunderstood the note, and tied Piggy's shoelaces. The murderer escapes, and they have to come up with another plan to trap him.
- Tubby fell victim to this trope by the Westside Gang in The Little Lulu Show episode "Spook Delivery".
- In an episode of Speed Buggy, Mark and Debbie did this to a villain who had grown to giant size.
- Larry did this to Tuddrussel twice on the Time Squad episode "Hate and Let Hate."
- Mr. Bogus did this to Mr. Anybody's overbearing boss near the end of the first act of the episode "A Day At The Office".
- Paulina and Kwan team up to attempt this to an AV volunteer in Danny Phantom, however Sidney Poindexter's spirit thwarts both pranksters and carefully reties the AV kid's shoes properly before he trips.