is a series of children's novels written by Margery Sharp and illustrated by Garth Williams.
It consists of:
- The Rescuers (1959)
- Miss Bianca (1962)
- The Turret (1963)
- Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (1966)
- Miss Bianca in the Orient (1970)
- Miss Bianca in the Antarctic (1971)
- Miss Bianca and the Bridesmaid (1972)
- Bernard the Brave (1977)
- Bernard into Battle (1978)
The series inspired the Disney films The Rescuers
and The Rescuers Down Under
This series provides examples of:
- Big Fancy House: The Mouse World equivalent: in the books, Miss Bianca is a pampered pet whose cage is a porcelain pagoda.
- Pretty in Mink: Miss Bianca has a fur cape in the books.
- The Middle Ages: While the Disney films have a fairly contemporary, Americanized setting, the original books deal with prisoners, dungeons, castles, palaces, etc.
- Polar Bears and Penguins: Miss Bianca in the Antarctic features polar bears — who explain that they're visiting from the Arctic on a cultural exchange program.
- Robot Girl: The villain of the second book has a bunch of clockwork girls made.