Literature / The Other Kind of Roommate
“You’re the worst split-personality in the world.”The Other Kind of Roommate
by Tartra is an urban fantasy Web Serial Novel
that follows Alex, the protagonist determinedly hiding
from a nine year and Agency
, and Beth, a Starving Artist
living in the apartment below him. Armed with nothing but invisible laser beams
and Xander, the voice in his head with a penchant for permanent solutions
, Alex struggles to survive his woes while getting caught in the start of Beth's.
The serial published its first post
on March 2014. Since then, and until the story's finished, TOKoR prides itself on being "Like Fight Club
meets The Matrix
This story contains examples of:
- As Lethal as It Needs to Be: According to Alex, his powers can stun, cause seizures, start comas, and in Xander's hands, kill.
- Berserk Button: Xander just wants his latté.
- Destination Defenestration: This is said to happen so often, Xander moved a dumpster under their window to catch the bodies he throws six storeys down.
- Eye Beams: Alex's powers. They're invisible and potentially deadly.
- Fighting the Lancer: Alex and Xander have physically fought each other enough for Beth to finish painting a series with only the vibrations through her ceiling.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Beth has shown a few traits of this, and starts them off by implying it's a family trait.
- Gollum Made Me Do It: Alex's mantra whenever Xander uses his powers to kill.
- The Mean Brit: Terry is affectionately this towards Beth, but applies the trope much more seriously to Alex and Xander.
- Psycho Sidekick: When Alex can't stomach pulling the trigger, Xander's more than happy to help.
- Sexier Alter Ego: Beth certainly seems in a flirtier mood with Xander than Alex.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Xander's primary means of communication.
- Spy Catsuit: The suit Agents. Along with Chameleon Camouflage, they're supposedly also bulletproof, shockproof, fireproof and wizard-proof.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Xander, for Alex.
- Symbiotic Possession: No matter how hard they butt heads, Alex willingly gives Xander control of the body when it's time to fight.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: On the night she has to finish four more paintings, Beth gets ready for her date, organizes her make-up, takes an hour to pick her socks, paints her toenails and gets slammed on a mix of tequila, whiskey and Ceasers.
- Quit Your Whining: Next to profanity and insults, this is Xander's most frequent message to Alex.
- Working with the Ex: Terry isn't just the director of the gallery Beth's featured in, but also her last serious relationship.