Sonic the Hedgehog in the Fourth Dimension
is a book released in 1993 and the second title written by the collective Pseudonym
Sonic and Tails must prevent Dr. Robotnik from changing the past, destroying the resistance and becoming supreme ruler on the planet Mobius. To help them traverse time they meet up with The Organizers, a group of humans who guard the space-time continuum. They in turn help the Organizers fend off the mythos creatures, mythological creatures fighting to gain a place in reality.
- Alternate Timeline: Several pop-up in the book but the one that Sonic and Co spend the largest amount of time in is the one where they prevent Dr. Kintobor from transforming into Dr. Robotnik.
- Anachronism Stew: The pair travel back to the Cretaceous period to have fun with dinos, yet somehow meet a proto-hedgehog and fox; almost identical to Sonic and Tails.
- Artistic License - Paleontology: Utahraptor's are apparently the size of a small skyscraper.
- Bad Future: Robotnik manages to succeed by by the first chapter of the book making Sonic and Tails set off to fix it.
- Beleaguered Bureaucrat: All the Organizers are hampered by their system but they do seem to genuinely care about protecting the universe.
- Canon Foreigner: Carrie the Copyu, Eric the Echidna and The Organizers.
- Clingy Costume: The mythos trick Sonic into putting one on which prevents any movement on voice activation, it can only be deactivated by somebody else but seemingly anybody else which means it's easy to get out of if somebody friendly finds you.
- Delayed Ripple Effect: The climax of the book sees Sonic and Tails outrunning (literally, they're on a time-traveling treadmill) the blast of the corrupted big-bang traveling through time.
- Draconic Humanoid: The first mythos Sonic comes across are Dragonkin; snake-like creatures with arms and legs.
- Dressed All in Rubber: The mythos are all dressed in form fitting rubber-like suits.
- Endless Corridor: Literally endless, the fourth dimension is nothing but rows and rows of corridors on-top of endless floors of similar looking corridors.
- Enemy Without: Sonic gets (another) alter-ego with Cinos; the reverse of Sonic which Tails fails to cure forcing Sonic to merge with it.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: With Time Travel it's justified.
- Evil Gloating: With Tails captured, Sonic unable to damage his improved egg-o-matic and their only escape route destroyed what does Robotnik do? Oh yeah; gives a run down of his plans and how the two are doomed to non-existence. This of course gives Sonic time to escape his grasp.
- Evil Laugh: "Two things float in the air around him at all times: the horrible smell of rotten eggs, and a high-pitched chortling laugh which he will break into at a moment's notice."
- Hamster Wheel Power: The time-travel device Sonic and Tails use near the end of the book is cobbled together using a treadmill as the power source. The faster the duo run the quicker they travel in time, this becomes a plot point.
- Invisibility Cloak: The Mythos ship has one; Sonic walks into it.
- Mecha-Mooks: Badniks.
- My Future Self and Me: At one point there are three Sonics and Tailses; at the end they trick Robotnik into beliving the whole dimension is populated by Sonic and Tails look-a-likes with this paradox.
- Necessary Fail: In order to save the universe Sonic must allow Dr Robotnik to exist; so he can steal the Chaos emeralds and thus prevent the Mythos from getting their hands on them.
- The Neutral Zone: One floor in the Fourth Dimension is set up as one.
- Peace Conference: One happens at the end of the book; it's of course Sonic that manages to come up with the idea and force the two forces to talk to each other.
- Product Placement: At one point sonic is playing on his "sleek" Game Gear.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: Questioned at one point but never really explained.
- San Dimas Time: At one point Dr. Robotnik claims who heroic duo only have fifteen minutes to exist; as his robots have found (and are about to kill) the first evolved hedgehog and fox on the planet.
- Sdrawkcab Alias: The book uses the Dr. Kintobor created Sonic and turned into Dr. Robotnik in a failed experiment as the back-story.
- And later in the book Sonic's reverse Cinos appears.
- Super Speed: Itís Sonic!
- Take a Number: Sonic and Co had to take one before meeting with the Science Council of the Organizers; with was up in the 4000's while the current number called was 24. Needless to say this didn't go down well with one impatient hedgehog.
- Time Police: The Organizers; who actually have a sub-division called the Time Police (they're not very good at their job).
- Time Travel: Key component of the plot.