A short story by Neil Gaiman, set in the Neverwhere
universe, detailing... well, what the title says.
Tropes used in this work include:
- Badass Longcoat: The coat in question. The Marquis doesn't feel psychologically armoured without it and is determined to get it back.
- Baleful Polymorph: Lady Drusilla of the Raven's Court has a habit of turning people who upset her into birds of prey. Poor Vince.
- Big Damn Heroes: Peregrine, twice, much to the Marquis' chagrin.
- Brainwashing: Some form of this is how the Shepherds get workers.
- Briar Patching: The Marquis would really like the Shepherd not to steal the letter that's in his shirt pocket and read it. Really.
- Deadpan Snarker: The Marquis is accused of being sarcastic all the time, even while screaming.
- Fungus Humongous: The Mushroom.
- Honorable Elephant: Mostly.
- Sibling Rivalry: The Marquis and Peregrine.
- Stalker with a Crush: Vince the Mushroom man trades information to the Marquis for delivery of a letter to the girl he likes, a lady of the Raven's Court. The letter is filled with Mushroom spores to infect her so she won't even think of refusing.
- Symbiotic Possession: How the Mushroom gets and keeps its people, by means of spores.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: The Elephant thinks it's a good idea to chain the Marquis to a pole in a room filling with water and leave the room.
- Wild Card: As ever, the Marquis. He personally tells Drusilla what Vince tried to do, and even shows her the letter, mostly so that then she'll owe him a favour.