The logo seen at the beginning of every episode.
'Chondler: Sometimes buddies, sometimes... not so buddies.
What's the pinnacle of The Nineties
for some people? No, no it's probably not Signfield. I mean, that's pretty goddamn great but it really isn't a good show at all either. It's one of them middle-of-the-road type shows, you get my drift? Then there was Frazzer, which let's all be honest was way too smart for anyone. Had too much opera garbage in it for me
to figure out anything, anyways. Pretty sure the skinny one was gay.
No no no no, I'm talking about Buddies,
the classic All-American sitcom featuring six complainers complaining and doing nothing with their lives! It was a show you could connect
to, a show you could feel.
Well, to a point. It's just a TV show for Christ's sake.
One fantastic thing about Buddies is that it dealt with the personal lives of a bunch of single people in a big city, which was such a revolutionary concept
that had never been done before.
Aside from its mind-blowingly original premise,
Buddies also has the distinction of being a TV show on NBC in the nineties. Wait for it... it was actually a popular one. On NBC. In the nineties. Talk about crazy, eh?
So come join the wacky Buddies and their insane adventures! Also, a quick reminder for all newcomer Buddies fanatics: don't you dare
call them Friends. Buddites hate that for some reason.
This series provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: That one time Jory died. Hit Chondler so hard he actually had an episode dedicated to it. The episode was terrible, though.
- All Just a Dream: Most of Season 46. Go figure.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: Everybody cheers loudly when Russ and Rockshell's baby is born. They end up waking up the baby and making it scream and cry to death. Nobody laughed from that point onward.
- Aerith and Bob: Aside from the normal names such as Jory, Chondler, Harmonica and Freebie, you have really fucking weird names like "Lisa" and "Bob" in some of the recurring lovers. Seriously?
- Birthday Episode: That one where they all turn 30. At the same time. On the same day. Was a, was a preeeeetty good episode though!
- Bowties Are Cool: "The One With Russ Wearing A Goshdang Bowtie" was all about this, as well as the gang deciding that swearing is uncool and inappropriate. It's also the only known episode with a heartfelt moral at the end, go figure.
- Brick Joke: Frisbee's sandals appear missing at the end of "The One With The Stuff and the Thing", but then it turns out they were being worn by Harmenical at the end! Wow! What a riot these buddies are!
- The Cameo: Has the distinction of having that one guy from Magnum PI play Russ's gay effeminate boyfriend for 67 straight seasons. Pun intended.
- Catch Phrase: Jory's is "What's UP?" whenever he's hitting on women and small children, Ress's is "BUT I WASN'T TAKING A MOMENT TO RELAX MYSELF" whenever it's brought up that he cheated on his gay lover, and finally Chondler's is "What IS the deal?" with such a striking emphasis that no one made fun of it for the entire show's run.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Jerry gets totally caught with his firepants on fire ants that one time in the shing dingle! Whoahoahoha, wacky changes!!!!!
- Characterization Marches On: They all used to be terrible. When the show ended, they stopped being terrible... juuuust by a little bit.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The very first season had everyone licking each other's hands to signify that romance was about to happen. This was dropped after the actor who plays Chindlair broke character and starting bleeding out of his nostrils.
- First Girl Wins: None of them do. Why would they? They shouldn't.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: "Beggin' for Bones."
- Go-to Alias: Feelble's is always "Fingerbone Gentles", which is such an unrealistic name that it wraps right around to being the perfect alias.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: All of the episode titles start with "The One With" or "The One Where", with the sole exception being the pilot, "Nobody Will Watch This".
- Never Live It Down: In-Universe: Were YOU having a moment to relax and do nothing in particular? Then you're probably Rass. Just sayin'
- Reality Ensues: This show did so well in Argentina that it started multiple riots just like the characters did in "The One That Takes Place In Argentina For No Discernible Reason". This caused multiple people to die. Repeatedly. Babies were shot!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: The entire show is one giant one directed at stay-at-home moms. We only find this out in Season 28, though.
- Running Gag: So many they ended up filling a page! Then we had to delete it because nobody cares.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: It's the preferred catchphrase of Al, Cliff's favourite barfly. Oh shit, wait, wrong show. FUCK
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jarriy loves fried chicken! Sometimes. Not always. Okay it's not his favourite food at all, whatever.
- Vacation Episode: "The One That Takes Place In Hawaii Although This Time We Have A Reason It's Because Of Rarss's Convention Dinosaur Thing Or Whatever". Fantastic four-parter, btw.
- Very Special Episode: A grand classic, "The One Where Jorey Finds Out He Has AIDS". No jokes for the entire 22 minutes, no commercial breaks. All AIDS.