Heartwarming: The Wizard of Oz
- For nearly forty years this story has given faithful service to the Young in Heart; and Time has been powerless to put its kindly philosophy out of fashion. To those of you who have been faithful to it in return ...and to the Young in Heart... we dedicate this picture.
- The Scarecrow and Tin Man both vowing to get Dorothy to the Emerald City after they've been threatened by the Witch.
- "I think I'll miss you most of all...."
- You're not the only one Dorothy, sniff.
- Try as you might, you'll probably never find someone who didn't love "Over the Rainbow" the first time they heard it.
- "Now I know I have a heart, because it's breaking."
- "Oh Auntie Em, there's no place like home!"
- This one takes a bit of thinking, but when Marvel finds out Dorothy is running away from home, he uses his so-called "crystal reading" abilities to tell her that Auntie Em is crying because she left, and that she's sick. Manipulative? Yes, but it's actually pretty sweet when you realize he's doing it to try and convince a young girl to go home.
"Poor little kid, hope she gets home alright..."
- The Wizard is actually a pretty nice guy once his scam is exposed. He speaks kindly and encouragingly to all our heroes. Of particular note is his dialogue with the Tin Man:
Wizard: So, my friend, you would like a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one; hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.Tin Man: But I still want one.
- Just the sheer amount of devotion and love the Lion, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Dorothy have for one another after they've known each other for, what? Three days, at most? Apparently, there are some things you just can't share without ending up liking each other, and being threatened by a Wicked Witch is one of them.
- Meta example: Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch of the West, was known to be a very nice woman in real life and was very concerned about being too frightening for kids. She supposedly turned down the chance to reprise the role when a sequel was in talks because she didn't want kids to be afraid of her.