One's bound to get this with a script that Aaron Sorkin helped write.
- The daughter's song at the end of the movie is pretty bittersweet, with the concluding lyrics being "you're such a loser, dad."
- The scenes between Billy Beane and the scouts.
Billy Beane: Is there another first baseman like Giambi?Scout: No, not really.Billy Beane: If there was, could we afford him?Scout: No.Billy Beane: Then what the fuck are you talking about, man?
- Billy's first conversation with Peter Brand:
Billy Beane: Who are you?Peter Brand: I'm Peter Brand.Beane: I don't give a rat's ass what your name is.
- Beane, along with his coach Ron Washington, visits Scott Hatteberg, a former catcher, to tell him they're putting him at first:
Hatteberg: I've only ever played catcher.Beane: It's not that hard, Scott. Wash, tell him.Washington: It's incredibly hard.
- A little later in the scene, Hatteberg wonders about what the fans will think, and Wash responds, "Yeah, maybe we can teach one of them how to play first base."
- "Who's Fabio?"
- "A shortstop. He's a shortstop with Seattle..."
- Towards the end of the film, after once again falling short of the World Series, Peter and Billy sit in silence after watching the video of a minor league player who attempted to round first, embarassingly fell, then discovered he'd already hit a home run.
Peter: ...It's a metaphor-Billy: -I know it's a metaphor.
- David Justice has been asked to try and help Scott Hatteberg make the transition to first baseman by being a mentor and building up his confidence.
David Justice: What's your biggest fear?Scott Hatteberg: A baseball being hit in my general direction. (both laugh)David: That's funny. Seriously, what is it?Scott: No, seriously, that is. (walks away)David: (calling after him) Well, hey, good luck with that.
- After Phillies GM Ed Wade agrees to deal for Jeremy Giambi, Beane hangs up, cutting Wade off mid-sentence:
Peter: ...I think he was going to say something else.
- After Billy tries to help Peter in the situation of talking to a player that he has to cut:
Billy: Would you rather get shot in the head, or get shot in the chest and bleed to death?Peter: ...Are those my only two options?