- John lampshading and mocking Chris' Narm in their phone call.
Chris: She's no whore! You saw her too. She's really more like...the April moon!John: April fuckin' moon?
- In the revival, it's "Are you fucking high?!"
- While the Engineer can be full of these, his absolute crowning moment of funny (at least in the complete symphonic recording) is at the end of "The American Dream." During the song, the Engineer is joined by backup singers and dancers for his big number, and when the song ends, they (naturally) go offstage. The Engineer breaks the fourth wall, notices his backup leaving him, and tries to call them back.
Engineer: Wh-wh-what's happening? Guys, wh-where are you going? Talk to me - it was just getting good! (Beat) ... Shit.
- In the revival, it's, "Come back! We can make it great again!"
- When the Engineer tells Tam to give him a kiss the boy complies - then promptly wipes his mouth as if grossed out.
- "What a Waste", which shows the Engineer's disgruntled attempts to appease a group of male tourists.
The Engineer: Drinks are on me. First girl is free. What can I say? You get me for a small extra fee! (The tourists run away in disgust) ...It was a JOKE!
The Engineer: You pick 'em well... Monsieur John, is that you?John: The Engineer? Jesus Christ, you're here too...
- In the revival, one of the tourists is a Mormon missionary, supposedly lost and disgusted with the Engineer's efforts to procure him a girl. But when he speaks the "you get me for free" line, the man instantly and enthusiatically responds and this time the "joke" line is to fend him off.
- Afterwards, he comes face-to-face with his old pal John, who's less than enthusiastic to see him again.
- As the Engineer haphazardly devises his plan to come to America in "If You Wanna Die in Bed", he seems to have forgotten one important detail...
The Engineer: If you want to die in bed en route to your nirvana,you gram your chance and plunge ahead and go where people win!Heaven's there... but shit...
- For the 2017 Broadway revival, Eva Noblezada (Kim) does a weekly vlog for Broadway.com, and in one episode, she occasionally goes around scaring fellow cast members, resulting in some hilarious reactions. She even manages to scare Devin Illaw (Thuy) twice, the first time in his underwear!
Devin Illaw: YOU'RE EVIL!