is a Found Footage
horror film directed by Ti West (The House of the Devil
, The Innkeepers
Two journalists document their friend's search for their missing sister. They travel to "Eden Parish", a small religious community lead by a mysterious man known as "Father". It soon becomes clear that this idyllic utopia is not what it seems.
This movie contain examples of the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Father is a very charismatic individual.
- Alas, Poor Villain: A small one.
Father: Why couldn't you leave us alone?
- Ate His Gun: Father's suicide.
- Cradling Your Kill: Caroline does this as she kills her brother.
- Crapsaccharine World: Eden Parish initially comes off as a self-sustained utopia where people can live together regardless of the race or background. It's only until later that we find out that the people aren't allowed to leave, and those that disobey the rules are severely punished.
- The Dragon: Caroline serves as this to Father.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: By the end of the film, everyone except for the two Vice reporters are dead.
- Foregone Conclusion: Given the story's connection to Jonestown, there's only so many ways this can end up.
- Holier Than Thou: Father claims to be this. At the end of the film, we see him snorting coke and it's implied he's having sex with Caroline.
- Infant Immortality: Horrifically subverted as we see a mother feeding her infant poison during the mass suicide.
- Then there is the mother slashing her own daughter's throat to prevent her from getting shot by the guards.
- Scary Black Man: The guards patrolling the outskirts of Eden Parish are comprised of this.
- Self-Immolation: Caroline's suicide.
- The Voice: We only hear Father over the intercom for the first half of the film.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: Inspired from a real life Jonestown Massacre.