The Motorcycle Diaries (Diarios de motocicleta) is a 2004 Biopic of Che Guevara, directed by Brazilian Walter Salles. It is based on Che's eponymous book and Alberto Granado's one, Traveling with Che Guevara: The Making of a Revolutionary (Con el Che por Sudamerica).Ernesto Guevara (Gael Garcia Bernal) was once, before becoming the "Che", a medicine student at the University of Buenos Aires. He and his buddy Alberto Granado (Rodrigo De la Serna) decided to ride Che's motorcycle, "La Poderosa" ("the Mighty One") through Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia and Venezuela. The motorcycle dies in Chile, but they still make it to Caracas.
The Motorcycle Diaries provides examples of :
- Affectionate Nickname: Che is "Fuser" ("Enraged"), Alberto is "Mial" ("Mi Alberto").
- Age Lift: Gael Garcia Bernal was 26, whereas Che was 23, but Rodrigo De la Serna and Alberto Granado were both 29.
- Coming-of-Age Story: At the end in Caracas, Che talks about his political awakening :Che: You see, Mial, all this time we spent on the road, something happened. Something I'll have to think about for a while. There's much injustice, don't you think ? [Alberto nodds] note
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Alberto and Ernesto don't part until they crossed 12 425 kms. They seem to have been close friends for a while already when they leave Buenos Aires.
- Historical-Domain Character: Ever saw the iconic face ? Picture◊ it without the beard.
- Road Trip Plot: With a Coming-of-Age Story.
- Scenery Porn: Lakes, mountains and deserts, Valparaiso, Cuzco, Machu Pichu and Amazon.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: A physical version, with two sisters not looking alike at all in Chile.
- Young Future Famous People: Pre-revolutionary Che, aged 23.
- The World Is Just Awesome: Both get stunned by the sceneries they cross.