Film: The Family Stone
The Family Stone is a 2005 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Thomas Bezucha. Produced by Michael London and distributed by 20th Century Fox, it stars an ensemble cast, including Diane Keaton, Craig T. Nelson, Dermot Mulroney, Sarah Jessica Parker, Luke Wilson, Claire Danes, Rachel McAdams, Tyrone Giordano, Brian J. White, and Elizabeth Reaser.The plot follows the Christmas holiday misadventures of the Stone family in a small New England town when the eldest son, played by Mulroney, brings his uptight girlfriend (played by Parker) home with the intention of proposing to her with a cherished heirloom ring. Overwhelmed by the hostile reception, she begs her sister to join her for emotional support, triggering further complications.The Family Stone was released in North America on November 26, 2005 and was a moderate critical and commercial success, with a worldwide gross of over US$92.2 million. While Parker was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for her performance, Keaton, Nelson and McAdams garnered a Satellite Award nomination each. In addition, McAdams was awarded a Teen Choice Award the following year.Not to be confused with Sly And The Family Stone.
- Fun with Foreign Languages: The whole family uses sign language because younger brother Thad is (at least partially) deaf.
- Jerkass: The whole family is this when they first meet Meredith. Heck, the teaser poster uses the wedding ring finger to flip you off, so that should be a clue.
- Mood Whiplash: The dinner scene
- Pun-Based Title: A Multiple Reference Pun, referring to the family name (making them The Family Stone) and the heriloom ring (the family stone).
- The Stoner: Ben.
- Trailers Always Lie: The movie trailer made it seem like a comedy... which is a bit of a stretch, to say the least.
- Wham Line: When Sybill reveals she's sick to Everett.