revolves around the adventures of one Spencer Griffith. A normal kid who found an alien spacesuit lying in a crater in his hometown. Spencer crawled into it and got stuck inside. Soon enough he finds himself speaking to an alien A.I., transforming into an advanced tech version of a Super Soldier
, and being whisked away to save the universe from ugly, evil aliens.
Unlike most kid heroes, Spencer never Jumped at the Call
; he got shoved. Of course, that's not to say he wont have a little fun while he learns how to be a hero...
Not to be confused with the musical theatre production troupe Team StarKid
The movie has many sci-fi–related tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Arguably with Spencer's dad Roland. He tries to be a good father, but he's too busy with his work. He also scolds his son for not waiting for him to pick him up from school, even though he was ridiculously late.
- Turbo's dad blames him for what Spencer/Cy did and continually refers to him as "his wife's" son.
- Adaptive Armor: The suit can create a cannon, a shield and who knows what else.
- Artifact of Doom: If Cy fell into the wrong hands, he would become this.
- Bizarre Alien Biology
- Calling Your Attacks: In this case, calling "code words" to make sure Cy doesn't blow up any innocent bystanders.
- Came from the Sky: How Spencer got Cy.
- Clingy MacGuffin: Cy the CyberSuit.
- Clothes Make the Superman: The combat suit again.
- Cool Teacher: Janet Holloway
- Crash Course Landing
- Eureka Moment: When Turbo figured out it was Spencer inside the alien suit who threw him in the trash.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: The Brood Warrior certianly gives this impression.
- Green Lantern Ring: Kinda, except Cy's a talking sentient suit, and not a ring.
- Heroic Host: Spencer and Cy, the suit's A.I.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Of the non-dying variety, but still a sacrifice. When Cy ejects Spencer just before his power runs down completely.
- How Do I Shot Web?
- Humanoid Aliens: The midget aliens who built Cy.
- Imported Alien Phlebotinum
- Mecha-Mooks: The Brood Warrior army.
- Mechanical Lifeforms
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Near the end of the movie Turbo gets to squash the Brood Warrior in a trash compacter.
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better
- Missing Mom: Spencer's mother died sometime before the events of the movie.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Cy could occasionally be a little overzealous when using his weapons.
- Potty Emergency: Cy does have a means to release bodily fluids, but that part is locked and sealed with no way for Spencer to open it on its own. He needs his teacher to open the part.
- Powered Armor: The suit
- Robot Names: Cy the CyberSuit, very original.
- Scary Dogmatic Aliens: The Brood Warrior.
- Secret Keeper: Turbo, about Spencers tener as a Superhero.
- Super Prototype: Cy is the first of his kind.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Subverted. Cy takes a hamburger, and then takes out all the good stuff! He thus turns it into a ball of beef-like eck!
- This Is Gonna Suck: Spencer says something along these lines when he gets ready to face the Brood Warrior.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World
- Wave Motion Gun: Both Cy and the Brood Warrior are equipped with such weapons.
- With Catlike Tread: Cy can move with stealth capabilities. Silencing the wooden floor Cy cannot do.
- You Have to Believe Me: Spencer's teacher told Roland about his son and Cy, but he doesn't believe her and argues with her. Spencer returned home and confirmed everything (including the coming of the Brood Warriors), but he just tells him to go to his room. He then shouted when Spencer starts to argue. He did manage to see the spaceship of Cy's creators as it took off.