Film: So Undercover
So Undercover is a 2012 action-comedy film directed by Tom Vaughan and written by Allan Loeb and Steven Pearl. It stars Miley Cyrus, Jeremy Piven, Josh Bowman, Kelly Osbourne and Megan Park.Molly (Cyrus) is a young but streetwise private eye who an FBI agent (Piven) hires to go undercover at a college soriority. Posing as 'Brooke', a rich girly girl Molly has stick close to the daughter of an important member of the Georgian mafia who has turned informant for the FBI.Very much a Spiritual Successor to/Younger and Hipper version of Miss Congeniality.
So Undercover provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Molly packs a mean punch.
- Becoming the Mask: Molly eventually becomes at least as interested in helping out her sorority as in protecting Alex.
- Big Bad Friend: Armon is really the Big Bad
- Bigger Bad: Unseen mob boss Kashlovan.
- Bitch Alert: Sasha
- Brainless Beauty: Dear God Cotton (though see Genius Ditz below)! Taylor has shades of this too, though not to the same extent.
- Dumb Blonde: Played with. Ditzy Cotton is a classic Dumb Blonde but Taylor is pretty vapid too and is a Raven Hair, Ivory Skin beauty while Sasha is as blonde as they come and pretty sharp.
- Gender-Blender Name: Nearly all the girls in the sorority (Alex, Cotton, Hunter, Taylor even 'Brooke'.) The exceptions are the two outsiders, Molly and Becky.
- Genius Ditz: Cotton is a total airhead in everything except chemistry in which she is quite, quite brilliant.
- The Mole: Molly finds out that she is this.
- The Mob Accountant's Daughter: Alex
- No Export for You: Inverted. It was released in theatres in the UK, but Direct-to-DVD in America
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Becky using a texan accent for all on one line. And then she immediately declares she's not using that accent but she'd worked on it all last year.
- Red Herring: Professor Talloway, Sasha and Nicholas at different points. The first two are hiding something Talloway is FBI, Sasha was an ugly unpopular kid in high school while the third was framed by the real villain.
- Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Trailer: Megan Park (Cotton) is noticably absent from the poster despite having more screen time and lines than Kelly Osbourne (Becky) or Eloise Mumford (Sasha).
- Tomboy: Molly before She Cleans Up Nicely.
- Totally Radical: Subverted. Molly has to be tutored in lingo like "amazeballs," resulting in her saying "Your balls are amazing" by mistake.