Horsemen is a 2009 American thriller film directed by Jonas Åkerlund and starring Dennis Quaid and Zhang Ziyi. It follows Aidan Breslin (Dennis Quaid) a bitter and emotionally distracted detective who has grown apart from his two sons after the death of his devoted wife. While investigating a series of murders he discovers a terrifying link between himself and the suspects that seem to be based on the Biblical prophecies concerning the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death.Needs More Love.
Horsemen Provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Kristen (Zhang Ziyi), The War horseman, murders her adoptive mother, because her father continually molested her at night, and her mother did nothing to stop him.
- Apocalypse How: The four horsemen-based murders are designed to begin the apocalypse: The final death, streamed live to a website of millions of depressed adolescents suffering abandonment, neglect, and abuse, will incite them to begin the destruction of society.
- Angst: Alex is constantly distant from his dad, due to him being pulled away very often, and not dropping a case to be with his dying wife.
- Creepy Child: While not a child, Kristen opens up into this persona after she reveals that she killed her mother and is the War horseman.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: If Aidan had just paid a little more attention to his kids, even took just a peek into Alex's room, he would have seen that he is severely disturbed by his father's neglect, and the Fourth horseman Conquest. He could've stopped many of the murders/suicides from ever happening.
- Recycled Premise: The film is basically Se7en, but with the murders based on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse instead of the Seven Deadly Sins