"What do you want?
"Something's funny going on. You better check.
— Godzilla and Angurius's conversation in the... dub
The 12th entry in the long-running Godzilla
series, also known as Godzilla on Monster Island
. It is the final film to star Haruo Nakajima as the King of Monsters. Godzilla must once again battle his old foe King Ghidorah to save Tokyo, and this time he brought a friend!
The plot revolves around a young manga artist by the name of Gengo Kotaka, who gets hired as a concept artist for a new theme park featuring a to-scale tower in Godzilla's likeness. He and his friends soon find out that the men running the theme park are in fact (surprise!) aliens trying to conquer the world with kaiju! Again! These aliens are in fact giant cockroaches disguised as humans from some planet in Space Hunter Nebula-M. They plan on summoning & control a couple of monsters with "Action Signal Tapes". Our human heroes activate one of them by mistake, which brings the attention of Godzilla and his pal Angurius, who are just chillin' on Monster Island (in the only scene that actually takes place on Monster Island). They chat
Angurius pays a friendly visit to Tokyo, gets shot at, and goes back to tell Godzilla what's up. The aliens summon King Ghidorah and a new monster, Gigan, who may prove to be Godzilla's deadliest foe yet. Godzilla and Angurius show up to confront the alien duo with the final battle taking place in the aforementioned theme park, where it turns out the Godzilla tower has a giant laser.
This film contains examples of the following:
- Action Girl: Tomoko Tomoe, the girlfriend of the protagonist Gengo Kotaka, is a black belt and gets to demonstrate these skills when rescuing her boyfriend and his friends from the disguised Nebulans.
- Back from the Dead: Inverted. Since this film perumably takes place in 1970's, then King Ghidorah's not gonna die. Yet.
- Big Creepy Crawlies: The invading aliens are from a desolate, polluted planet and may be one of the few survivors of that world's wildlife. They're man-sized roaches.
- Character Development: Aside Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla makes one where he's longer a selfish monster since Son Of Godzilla. In the next film, he becomes friendly enough to fight alongside other monsters.
- Continuity Nod: The Japan Defense Force recognizes King Ghidorah's roar when the alien kaiju first approach. Also, Godzilla goes after Ghidorah, the monster he's familiar with, first before directly fighting Gigan.
- Bash Brothers: Godzilla and Angurius. Also King Ghidorah and Gigan.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Gigan is notably the first villain to make Godzilla bleed.
- Friendship Moment: Seeing Godzilla in trouble, Anguirus rushes to his aid, and receives Gigan's chest saw in his face as a result.
- Green Aesop: Keep the planet clean, or the roaches will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
- Recycled Soundtrack: The film's soundtrack is almost entirely recycled music from other films, all of which were scored by Akira Ifukube.
- Stock Footage: Tons of it.
- Strong as They Need to Be: Godzilla's second wind here really comes out of nowhere.
- Suddenly Voiced: Oh wow. Wasn't kidding about "They chat".
- Weaponized Landmark: The Godzilla Tower turns out to be one
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Tomoko Tomoe is terrified of roaches. Which is a real problem in this story.