Film / 40 Days and 40 Nights
40 Days and 40 Nights
is a 2002 film directed by Michael Lehmann, written by Rob Perez and starring Josh Hartnett
, Shannyn Sossamon, Paulo Costanzo and Vinessa Shaw.
Matt Sullivan (Hartnett), after a bad breakup and finding out his ex-girlfriend Nicole (Shaw) is now engaged to be married to another man, decides to give something up for Lent: namely, any form of sex
, including keeping himself company
. When his friends find out, they make a Side Bet
that he won't make it, which eventually goes viral with people online betting on what day and act he'll break the vow to. Things go a bit awry when he meets Erica (Sossamon), the girl of his dreams, soon after.
This film contains examples of:
- Almighty Janitor: The bagel guy (played by Michael Maronna) seems to know everything. Incidentally, he's how Matt found out about Nicole's engagement.
- The Bet: What day and act Matt will break his vow of celibacy to.
- Betty and Veronica: Erica (brunette but nice) and Nicole (blonde but not so nice).
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: ...but do not expect the same results if attempted in the real world if you are not Josh Hartnett.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Jerry, Matt's boss, ends up doing this in the office bathroom after drinking orange juice laced with Viagra (which was meant for Matt by another co-worker).
- Destructo-Nookie: After Matt's Lent vow is complete...let's just say he and Erica need to stock up on some essentials.
- Dirty Old Man: Matt's boss Jerry, whose wife doesn't put out like she used to.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Nicole rapes Matt when he's asleep and handcuffed to his bed, thus winning the bet and forcing him to apologize for it. Nobody in the movie calls her out on it, and the only person who's upset about it is Erica, who's angry at Matt.
- Erotic Dream: During his final day of Lent, Matt has a dream of flying over a field made of breasts, and then seeing Erica laying naked atop a washing machine in a laundromat.
- Erotic Eating: Matt catches a glimpse of a random woman eating a banana a...certain way.
- The Immodest Orgasm:
- Early in the film, Matt fakes an orgasm with his date. She isn't convinced.
- Matt also overhears Ryan and a girl having sex.
- It's Not You, It's Me: Matt tells Erica something like this when trying to explain his vow of celibacy.
- Jerkass: Pretty much most of the supporting cast. Matt's priest brother John doesn't support or help him stay celibate. Some of Matt's co-workers try to get Matt to break his vow through a number of ways. And Nicole rapes him.
- Karma Houdini: Nicole, as mentioned, rapes Matt and gets the pooled money, and just skankily saunters off into the night.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: What kick-starts the plot, since Matt has Nicole (or, more accurately, her recent engagement) stuck in his head.
- Loophole Abuse : Erica and Matt agree "it doesn't count."
- The Modest Orgasm: Erica has one after Matt blows a flower across her body.
- The Mole: Ryan reports on Matt's activities during Lent.