Film / Die wilden Kerle
Die Wilden Kerle
(lit: "the wild guys") are a German movie series (based on the children's book series Die Wilden Fussball Kerle
, which became The Wild Soccer Bunch
in the Cultural Translation
in America) from The Noughties
about a team of boys (and Vanessa
) who like to play football (soccer, for Americans).
There are no less than six movies about them:
- "Alles ist gut, solange du wild bist!": The team has a problem: A bunch of older bullies, lead by "fat Michi", have occupied the place where they use to play football. A match (naturally) shall decide who gets the right for the place. Fortunately, former football pro Willi is there to train the boys.
- They need money for an upgrade of their sports field for a match vs. the national team, and Vanessa has fallen in love with the cool skater boy Gonzo and is missing for an important match.
- "Die Attacke der Biestigen Biester": The bunch is challenged for the title of "wildest team in the world" - by an all-girls team, of all things.
- "Der Angriff der Silberlichten": The team has to do a freestyle soccer contest against the "wolves of Ragnarök". Then, the "Silberlichten" team lead by the girl Horizon appears. And she tries to seduce the boys...
- "Hinter dem Horizont": After Leon has disappeared, the team looks for him and crosses the borders of reality, it seems. They discover a castle inhabited by vampires, who challenge them to a "Soccer 3D" match.
Especially the later movies weren't exactly liked by the critics, but they still were commercially successful.
- The Alcoholic: Willi has a problem.
- Americanization: The American version is set in Chicago. Leon became Kevin, Vanessa became Zoe, and so on.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Nerv, appearing in #3. His nickname even is derived from "nerven" (to get on someone's nerves). Later, he gets Rescued from the Scrappy Heap (in-universe) though.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: Vanessa wears one.
- Broken Pedestal: Willi in the first movie, when they learn (from fat Michi, of all people) that Willi wasn't a pro as he claimed.
- But Not Too Foreign: Rocce, the half-Brazilian.
- Catch-Phrase: "Alles ist gut, solange du wild bist!" ("Everything's cool, as long as you're wild!")
- Composite Character: The animated series does this to pretty much everyone, in order to reduce the cast.
- Deniz fulfils the role of Fabi as Leon's best friend and has the same issues with his soccer-pro daddy like Rocce.
- Markus has the stoicism of Maxi.
- Marlon has Maxi's *world's hardest shooting*.
- Jojo is aged down to fulfil Joschka's role.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Willi disappeared after the first movie. Other members of the team were Put on a Bus. Sometimes, The Bus Came Back.
- Cool Bike: For a gag, in the bike scenes they added sound effects of motorbikes. And in #4, they get real bikes.
- Covered in Gunge: Vanessa in #4, after deliberately losing in the freestyle soccer contest.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: When Leon disappears in #5, Raban and Joschka get the idea that he was abducted by vampires.
- A Day in the Limelight: Each and everyone of the "Wilden Kerle" has their own book.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Department of Redundancy Department: Unbesiegbare Sieger, Biestige Biester (two of their opponents).
- Distaff Counterpart: Die biestigen Biester.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Vanessa abuses Leon throughout the series, but Leon seems to be happy with this. In #3, she accuses him of being a betrayer since he left the bunch; but fails to remember that she'd done so in #2. She'd even told Gonzo, with whom she fled away, all the secrets of the bunch.
- She abuses Leon verbally throughout #3 but tries to seduce a much older man in front of his eyes, still, Leon and Vanessa are the most popular pairing in the fandom of the movies.
- To add salt to the wound, she accuses Leon of having been smitten by Horizon in #4, while all Leon did was challenging her to play soccer.
- In #5, she betrays Leon with Darkside but Leon immediately forgives her. All in all, all the bunch seems to be falling for her but she only enjoys torturing Leon.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Inverted. The first movies were about mundane topics, but the later became much more over-the-top.
- Earth Drift
- Face–Heel Turn / Heel–Face Turn: Several members have left the "Wilden Kerle" for the one or other reason, and sometimes even joined other teams, but returned later. More common in the movies.
- Fat Bastard: Der dicke Michi (fat Micky).
- Femme Fatale: Horizon has elements of this.
- Film of the Book: Six of them.
- Flowery Curses: Sometimes bordering on Totally Radical.
- Free-Range Children: A very egregious case. In the fifth movie, they look for Leon who has disappeared. The search takes ten months! Do they still have parents???
- Gadgeteer Genius: Hadschi, "Düsentrieb" in #5 for the vampires.
- Genre Shift: The first movie was a quite conventional kids' sports movie. Later movies added romance (appropriate since the boys grew up), adventure (OK, I guess) and fantasy / horror (???).
- Letting Her Hair Down: Vanessa in #4 and Müller in #6.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Justified, you need eleven people for a real football team. Many of those (at least of our heroes) get A Day in the Limelight.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Horizon, who loves to seduce 2 brothers. She even lies to Vanessa about Leon's spending time in a lake with her, which the latter believes. One can forgive her easily when it is considered that Leon verbally abused her.
- Also Natascha from the animated series seemed to be bullying Vanessa but after she dated Markus, she befriended the wild guys and became more "lovable"...
- Love Interest: Gonzo for Vanessa in the 2nd, Horizon in the 4th movie, Darkside for Vanessa in the 5th movie again. The girl falls in love way too many times...
- Nerd Glasses: Raban.
- Oddly Named Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo: All of them, except #2.
- One Steve Limit: However, in another way broken - until the books came out, "Joschka" pretty much referred to politician Joschka Fischer.
- Our Vampires Are Different: In #5, though they aren't real vampires, but an Amazon Brigade.