Coffee and Cigarettes
is a 2003 film by Jim Jarmusch
. It consists of 11 short scenes in which characters converse over coffee and cigarettes. The first three (Strange to Meet You, Twins and Somewhere in California) were filmed in 1986, 1989 and 1993 as individual short films with Jarmusch
returning to the concept to create a feature-length collection.
The All-Star Cast
includes (among others) Cate Blanchett
, Steve Buscemi
, Steven Wright
, The White Stripes
and Bill Murray
The 11 segments are:
- Strange To Meet You: Steven Wright and Roberto Benigni meet in a coffee shop, introduce themselves, discuss the virtues of coffee and cigarettes, then part as Roberto goes to Steven's dentist appointment.
- Twins: Joie and Cinque Lee bicker in a diner in Memphis. Their waiter (Steve Buscemi) posits a theory about Elvis Presley and his Evil Twin.
- Somewhere in California: Iggy Pop and Tom Waits meet and make incredibly awkward conversation over coffee and 'just one' cigarette.
- Those Things'll Kill Ya: Joe Rigano berates Vinny Vella about his unhealthy lifestyle.
- Renée: Renée French sits quietly enjoying her coffee and cigarettes while she reads a gun magazine, occasionally bothered by her waiter E.J Rodriguez.
- No Problem: Friends Alex Descas and Isaach De Bankolé meet after having not seen each other in a while. Isaach asks if Alex called him out of the blue because something was wrong, Alex insists this is not the case. Isaach doesn't believe him.
- Cousins: Cate Blanchett meets her cousin Shelly (also played by Cate Blanchett) in a hotel lobby in Sydney and they come to realise how vastly different their lives are.
- Jack Shows Meg His Tesla Coil: Jack and Meg White sit in a cafe and... well... Jack shows Meg his Tesla coil. They also discuss its inventor: Nikola Tesla.
- Cousins?: Friendly Alfred Molina meets rude and arrogant Steve Coogan in LA with an interesting about their shared family history.
- Delirium: RZA and GZA sit and talk in a cafe and are surprised to find that their waiter is Bill Murray.
- Champagne: Bill Rice and Taylor Mead are on their coffee break and they pretend the disgusting coffee is champagne while listening to music coming from nowhere.
Tropes appearing in Coffee and Cigarettes:
- Acting for Two: Cate Blanchett as... Cate Blanchett. And her cousin Shelly.
- All-Star Cast: As mentioned in the description above, the film features many recognisable faces from mainstream and independent film with a few comedians and musicians thrown in too.
- Arc Words: A few phrases keep popping up. Most notably "Nikola Tesla perceived the Earth as a conductor of acoustical resonance", "I like to drink coffee before I go to sleep, it makes me dream faster, like the Indy 500" and words to the effect of "Coffee and Cigarettes? That's what you're having for lunch?"
- Everybody Smokes: As you might expect.
- As Himself: Most characters are versions of the actors playing them with the exception of Steve Buscemi as a waiter with a conspiracy theory about Elvis' evil twin.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Renée proves extremely distracting for her waiter. Steve Coogan also seems very distracted by a female fan asking for an autograph.
- Italians Talk With Hands: Joe Rigano and Vinny Vella certainly do. Vinny Jr as a Silent Bob does nothing but this.
- Mistaken for Gay: Steve Coogan asks Alfred Molina if he's gay due to Molina being perhaps overly friendly.
- The Stoic: Alex. Is something wrong?!