- "Am I pretty?"
This film contains the examples of:
- Abandoned Playground - Happens after the Slit Mouthed Woman is spotted the first time.
- Abusive Parents - One of the major plot-points of the film. Mika's mother abused her to the point of leaving bruises and Noboro's origin story involves his mom beating him and his siblings, killing the two siblings while possessed.
- Adult Fear - The film loves this trope. Kidnappings, parental abuse, and the death of two kids.
- Anyone Can Die
- Badass Longcoat: Our main antagonist wears one along with a white surgeon mask.
- Chekhov's Gun - The sketchbook that Hideo had at the beginning proves helpful in finding the Kuchisake-onna's hideout.
- Creepy Basement
- Downer Ending - The Kuchesake-onna was "defeated" but Noboro dies and Kyoko is possessed in the end of the film.
- Facial Horror
- Glasgow Grin - Of course.
- Heroic BSOD - Kyoko has three or more during the film's course. First when Mika was kidnapped before her eyes, again when the Kuchisake-onna revealed that she ended up letting a mother die and seeing the mother's now-orphaned kids.
- Heroic Sacrifice - Noboro
- Infant Immortality - Averted.
- Immortality - The Kuchisake-onna seems to have Type IX or XI Immortality. Justifiable as she's a spirit.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl - The main fiend.
- Would Hurt a Child - The Kuchisake-onna kills one kid and carved a glasgow on a girl. Even then, we're treated to the sight of two skeletons of Noboro's siblings.