Film / Carved
"Am I pretty?"
Released in 2007, Carved
is one of many recent Asian horror films featuring a vengeful spirit. Based on an urban legend of a woman who cuts her victims' mouths after asking them if they think her horrific Glasgow Grin
is pretty, the movie takes it, twists it, and turns it into an entertaining story.
It was followed by a sequel and a prequel, both released in 2008.
This film contains the examples of:
- Abandoned Playground - Happens after the Slit Mouthed Woman is spotted the first time.
- Abusive Parents - One of the major plot-points of the film. Mika's mother abused her to the point of leaving bruises and Noboro's origin story involves his mom beating him and his siblings, killing the two siblings while possessed.
- Adult Fear - The film loves this trope. Kidnappings, parental abuse, and the death of two kids.
- Downer Ending - The Kuchesake-onna was "defeated" but Noboro dies and Kyoko is possessed in the end of the film.
- Heroic B.S.O.D. - Kyoko has three or more during the film's course. First when Mika was kidnapped before her eyes, again when the Kuchisake-onna revealed that she ended up letting a mother die and seeing the mother's now-orphaned kids.
- Immortality - The Kuchisake-onna seems to have Type IX or XI Immortality. Justifiable as she's a spirit.
- Would Hurt a Child - The Kuchisake-onna kills one kid and carved a glasgow on a girl. Even then, we're treated to the sight of two skeletons of Noboro's siblings.