Captivity is a 2007 thriller directed by Roland Joffe and starring Elisha Cuthbert. Jennifer Tree (Cuthbert) is a model who gets captured and wakes up in a strange cell. She spends most of the movie trying to escape and then she discovers she's not the only one who is captured.
Tropes associated with Captivity:
- Alternate Ending: Released on DVD, the alternate ending reveals that the man being tortured and killed with a hammer in the opening scene is revealed (through press clippings) to be a three-time murderer of women; his assailant is revealed to be Jennifer.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Jennifer escapes, but not before killing Ben, one of the detectives, and leaving Gary to die. The Alternate Ending above even suggests she becomes a Knight Templar who hunts and kills people like him.
- California Doubling: Set in New York? But was shot in Russia.
- Do You Want to Copulate?: One of the most bizarre scenes in the movie; after failing to escape with Gary (believing he's another prisoner), she thinks he's injured and tries to help him, and some odd reason, the two have sex. (Fully consensual.) WTF?
- Freudian Excuse: Possibly the Dexter brothers. All depends on how real that film was with their mother...
- Hellbent For Leather: Jennifer wears a leather skirt in one scene. We even have her bending over so that we get a look at her ass.
- Lima Syndrome: A very, very dark variant. Gary claims to be in love with Jennifer, and kills his brother - or tries to - in order to protect her, then later claims she belongs to him. She doesn't appreciate it.
- Male Gaze: See above.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jennifer.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The controversial advertising campaign included a series of posters suggesting a female character's kidnapping, torture, and murder (or execution). Jennefer actually survives the ending.
- Running Gag: Jennifer gets knocked out SO many times, it's actually funny. It'll make a nice drinking game.
- Torture Porn