April Fool's Day
is a slasher movie
from the year 1986. It was directed by Fred Walton, who also directed When a Stranger Calls
seven years prior.
Muffy St. John is rich and she is about to inherit an old house on an island. She decides throw a party to her pals from college in there on April Fool's day. But weird things soon start to happen, as someone has stored very different kind of April Fool pranks for the guests... And the subversions. Oh god, the subversions!
Got a loose remake in 2008.
Examples contained within this book. Gotcha!
- All Women Are Lustful: Judging by the kitchen conversation, Muffy, Kit and Nikki love lots and lots of sex. Even Nan, the supposedly repressed good girl got pregnant.
- Book Ends: The jack-in-the-box appears in the opening credits and shows up again in the last scene.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Much of the scares are made of findings of corpses and severed heads.
- Portrait Painting Peephole: Kit and Rob find one in their room, but there is only cat-clock with moving eyes behind it. It later reappears in much less amusing fashion.
- Really Gets Around: Nikki. Sleeps with Chaz but is clearly up for sex with Arch later in the weekend, not to mention flirting openly with Hal.
- Red Herring: Buck ("They did it!") and Muffy's strange behaviour after the first night.
- The Reveal: It's all in the movie's name.
- Scary Jack In The Box: Muffy was given one when she was a child.