Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
(known in the United States as Alan Partridge
) is a 2013 British action comedy film featuring fictional radio and television presenter Alan Partridge, played by Steve Coogan
When famous DJ Alan Partridge's radio station is taken over by a new media conglomerate, it sets in motion a chain of events which see Alan having to work with the police to defuse a potentially violent siege.
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa contains examples of:
- Bathroom Break-Out: Alan attempts to escape from the mobile studio by going to the bathroom and climbing into the septic tank. This does not work so well.
- Chekhov's Skill: Alan mentions his skill with air rifles in shooting galleries. This comes into play during the final showdown on the pier.
- Character Development: Alan becomes slightly less of a huge jerk in this movie. To be clear; he's still a huge jerk, just slightly less huge.
- Hand or Object Underwear: Alan loses his trousers and underwear while wriggling out through a window. He attempts to cover his genitals with his hands, but is then confronted by an armed police officer who demands he put his hands up.
- Fighting Irish: Man with a gun in the radio station? Not a problem. But as Alan says "He's Irish!"
- Indulgent Fantasy Segue: Alan has one when he imagines taking the shotgun off Pat and going on an action hero rampage through the studio to rescue the hostages. However, he spends so long imagining it that he fails to actually pick up the shotgun.
- Juggling Loaded Guns: Just about everyone who gets hold of a gun in the movie manages to do something stupid (and hilarious) with it.
- The Last DJ: With the North Norfolk Digital station being rebranded as "Shape" and old timers like Pat Farrell being fired, Alan likes to think of himself as this.
- Low-Speed Chase: Alan, Pat and Michael lead the police on a low speed chase in the mobile studio, broadcasting traffic information about the low speed chase while they do so.
- Naked People Trapped Outside: Alan loses his trousers and underpants while wriggling out through a window. Before he can retrieve them, he is confronted by an armed police officer and a paparazzo.
- Noodle Incident: Alan thought the mobile studio would still be in the police impound lot following the incident involving the boy scouts.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Played straight; Alan gets shot non-fatally in the shoulder.
- Reflective Eyes: His glasses reflect what Alan is really looking at on his laptop.
- Reliably Unreliable Guns: Alan attempts to fling Pat's shotgun into the sea. It lands on the pier railing and goes off, shooting Alan.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A tense moment in a hostage situation, to the soundtrack of "Ski Sunday".
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Alan says that he has never fired a gun in anger. Or at a cat.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue