Fanfic Recs: Umineko: When They Cry
aka: Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Umineko: When They Cry
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
Silly Hat Productions
- Recommended by Shinji117
- Renahh is a prolific writer of high-quality Umineko fanfics. Among her works, you can find romance, comedy and crack fics and a host of other genres. Additionally, Renahh writes for most-every conceivable pairing. You have a couple of incredible Beato/Battler fics alongside Ronove/Battler fics along with...let's that Renahh's written something for anyone. Listing each individual work would take too long, so best to say that you should take the time to at least skim over these stories.
Umineko USO DA
- Recommended by Foomin Blue
- Pairing(s): George/Shannon and Jessica/Kanon are hinted at, but hardly the focus.
- Synopsis: A parody series that takes the world of Umineko and twists it. What starts out as a Gag Series eventually develops into something of a semi-coherent story that spoofs and loosely follows the story of Umineko, filled with Black Comedy and peppered with genuinely dramatic moments. Deadpan Snarking abounds.
- Comments: This series gets more epic with every new installment. Silly Hat Productions obviously cares about this series, and for all its craziness—and there's a ton—it's also devoted to keeping consistent. The cast is mostly in character, with the following being the biggest and most obvious exceptions—Battler, who receives little Character Development and remains the same incompetent guy determined to defeat Beatrice and learn the truth of her game from start to finish, and Kinzo, who is reduced to a mere Psychopathic Manchild—both due to Rule of Funny. biggest and most obvious exception is Kinzo, due to Rule of Funny), and as mentioned, there's some real drama and truly awesome moments to be found. Great videos for any fan who's caught up on the series.
, also known as "Akaki shinjitsu wa USO DA" and "The Red Truth Is A Lie"
Witch Hunter's Abroad: Redaction Of The Golden Witch
- Recommended by Xelloss08, Mt
- Pairing(s): Battler/Beatrice is touched upon in Witches & Woodlands; some of the Yonkoma feature Crack Pairing
- Synopsis: A blog site which features a humorous Yonkoma series and a user-made patch for the games titled "Witches & Woodlands", featuring some of the characters playing a D&D-style RPG. Contains a good mix of both humor and epic moments.
- Comments: Witches & Woodlands is one of the best fan-made chapters I've ever seen. It can also be watched on Youtube here, for those who don't owe the games. Requires knowledge of Episode 5.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Reccomended by Universalperson
- Pairing(s): Doesn't seem to be touched on all that much.
- Synopsis: This is actually a development blog for a fanmade Visual Novel, which has a demo currently out. The blog has additional previews and background material for the game. The plot, taken all together, is a self-referential Nested Story because the whole thing is an Umineko fan work about an Umineko fan work, that is written in universe. To describe it any more would require its own page, because it basically shaping up to be three or four interconnected stories at once. The in-universe fanwork takes place between Episodes 5 and 6, and so contains spoilers up to those episodes.
- Comments: This is clearly a very ambitious project. The author certainly has the whole multiple levels of storytelling down already, and the demo is extremely well written.
by Apprentice Witch
Forgery of the Black Sorcerer
- Recommended by silvercover
- Pairings: Bernkastel/Lambdadelta
- Synopsis: Their love is endless.
- Comments: While at first glance when looking at the title and description, you'd assume its just another one of those cheesy lovey dovey romance story between the two, right? Well, you're way off the mark. Its a variant outlook on the relationship between Lambdadelta and Bernkastel, but I would say it hits the mark so perfectly it hurts. Sort of like the fanfic "Fear" below, except that that one was great pre Chiru, whilst this one fits a lot more nicely with the new information gained from Chiru to the climax of Umineko.
by Lumi Glacio
- Recommended by: Excavation
- Synopsis: A new and mysterious Fragment is discovered by Dlanor A. Knox. To discover it's true nature, she and a friend visit a prisoner, that claims to be the victor. Will you discover what happened in that world?
- Comments: A short (6 chapters) but thoroughly enjoyable story with a heavy focus on the mystery aspect, while the characters don't receive much detail their portrayals are well done, especially that of Black Battler. A story to make you smile, laugh and question. The writing is consistently solid (save a few very minor wording problems) and the story is well paced and won't leave you bored for lack of action, however it will leave you wanting to read on.
Page not found: seem to be a problem...
When The Mountain Goats Cry
by Philo Vance
Willard H Wright: Inquisitor of Heresy
- Reccomended by Aura Twilight
- Pairings: Battler/Beatrice, Will/Lion
- Synopsis: After all issues with Rokkenjima were settled, a new annual conference began to take place. One more friendly, yet equally as mysterious. What was the secret behind the cursed mountain?
- Comments: Quite frankly the best Umineko fanfiction I've ever read. All the characters are perfectly in character, and it feels like it could be canon. It's also incredibly hilarious and will apparently have a serious plot, too. The writer has done their homework. Contains EP 8 spoilers.
- It's really the most amazing thing to come out of fanfiction.net, at least for the Umineko fandom. I came here to add it as soon as I finished reading the third chapter. The EP 8 spoilers are very very small, so don't let them stop you from reading it. The writer is so good that you won't even know that they are spoilers unless you have played episode 8. The writing is at times just a tiny bit awkward due to the author going the extra mile to keep Lion's gender hidden, but it's still fairly good. It's also worth noting that the fanfic contains Battler/Will bromance. Not romance, just pure bromance. And it works so well!
- Recommended by Novatel
- Synopsis: Having no choice but to solve ten murders in order to go back to reality and save Lion, the inquisitor of heresy draws his sword one more time. Facing Bern is a terribly difficult task, but an unexpected helper might make the task easier.
- Comments: The story is ongoing and has just started, but it's amazing. Erika being tsundere towards Will who clearly has his mind full with Lion and couldn't care less about her is entertaining enough, adding well written banter between the two detectives and a truly compelling mystery plot makes it all the better. The fic only has two chapters so far, but already set up a very good mystery and hopefully will have a satisfying conclusion. It's the only Umineko fanfic that I've seen that bothers with a plot to go with the character development.
- And a fairly good plot as well. It seems like the main theme of the fanfic will be Will's motive for his Heel-Face Turn before the beginning of the series
Page not found: seem to be a problem...
How Battler Stole Witchmas : An Epic Reading
- Recommended by Kasuga
- Synopsis: Rosa is the youngest and her home, her world is already filled with so much grandness when she's born that she feels inadequate. A story of how Rosa became the 'monster' we all know.
- Comments: This story is so amazing, sad and tragic, I'm surprised it didn't get too much appreciation. It describes the way Rosa ended up being such a hateful person. It also shows how much you can get out of a character that doesn't get much attention, and I can only hope the fandom realizes that there are more characters besides Beato, Battler and Ange, and that they can develop them beautifully like this fic did with Rosa.
originally by Astaroth and read by syckls
- Recommended by Mallix
- Synopsis: Battler tries to stop Witchmas from coming (and all those trollfaces that accompany it). Will he succeed?
- Comments: Based on a 4chan thread that was created when somebody urged the initial poster of a thread to finish the story they started said thread with, an Umineko themed parody of How the Grinch Stole Christmas!. That person, apparently named Astaroth, obliged, and improvised a story based on the classic Christmas tale. Hilarity ensued. Contains several in jokes, including Battler x Hatstand, small bombs, and The Subway Theory. Also contains some spoilers for the final portion of End of the Golden Witch, and a surprise twist ending.
by Macavity the Mystery Cat
Bum Reviews: Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
- Recommended by J the Drafter
- Synopsis: As Bernkastel flees, Lambda follows. As Bernkastel hides, Lambda seeks. And no matter where Bernkastel turns to, the witch Lambdadelta forces her into yet another game. (Oneshot, minor characterization spoilers for the end of Episode Four and for the whole of Episode Five.)
- Comments: The story greatly expands on the character of Bernkastel we see in Canon. She is presented here as a constantly fearful, almost pitiful individual who has been badly warped, both by necessity and by the temptation to play with her powers without restraint, in her struggle to stay alive and free against Lambdadelta's unyielding desire to cage her and play with her.
by Jane Poirot
- Recommended by Sparkysharps
- Synopsis: Chester A. Bum offers his two cents on the anime adaptation.
- Comments: OH MY GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST BUM-NARRATED UMINEKO FANFIC I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE! In all seriousness though, it is a pretty spot-on rendition of what an Umineko anime review by Chester A. Bum would look like, right down to the drug-related tangents and (Seriously though,...) disclaimer at the end.
by an Anonymous writer.
Intoxicated Tales of the Golden Witch
- Recomened by : Pata Hikari
- Synopisis: Erika finds herself on Rokkenjima for the start of a new game, but this time a mysterious unknown man is also on the island. Will Erika solve the Rokkenjima murder mystery this time? ...And who is this mysterious new stranger?
- A sad look at what might have happened to Erika at the end of Episode 6.
- Ozimul : Even if you hate Furudo Erika with every fibre of your being, this story can and will make you feel sorry for her.
by Sone Anna
A Slight Overreaction
- Recommended by: Ozimul
- Synopsis: Battler and Beatrice are drunk. They are trying to recall the 1986 family conference. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: A while ago, I put a theory up on the WMG page that Battler and Beato were drunk. It got turned into a fanfic. So far it's well written and hilarious. Currently contains spoilers for EP 7.
Being Dysfunctional Has Never Been So Much Fun
- Reccomended by: Sone Anna
- Synopsis: Dlanor gets bored doing paperwork one day. Then she spies a lone cockroach scurrying along.
- Comments: A short, but very hilarious story. Actually pretty in-character for Dlanor.
- Additional Comments: *ahaha.wav* This is very Dlanor. I hope to see more of these spin-offs.
Witch of Truth
- Recommended by: Algoraloth, Shinji117
- Pairings: Primarily Bernkastel/Lambdadelta and the various canon pairings, but pretty much every pairing under the sun is present somewhere.
- Synopsis: A collection of mostly light-hearted oneshots and short ficlets about the lives and relationships of the various characters in Umineko.
- Comments: Ranging from heartwarming to depressing to humorous, this has to be one of the lengthiest and varied one-shot collections I've seen in a long time, with 205 chapters and counting. Pretty much every Umineko character is given a story, from both the Metaverse and human world. In fact, if you want to see stories about some of these characters- the Seven Stakes, primarily- this is really one of the few stories you can go to. The characterization is typically kept perfectly intact, and the continuity is solid. The writing is continually good throughout, as well.
by Jan Poo
Battler Solves the Logic Error
- Recommended by: Panbobo, Oroboro
- Synopsis: This story is about a Witch of Truth, this story is about the great detective Erika Furudo. Those who are used to happy endings where the good triumphs and the evil is defeated are invited to look elsewhere; because the main character of this novel is the worst kind of person, and this time no one and nothing will stop her. If you are looking for love, mercy or compassion, you will find none. This is a heartless story, in a heartless world, filled with heartless characters, with the most heartless of all abusing the blade of truth to cause as much pain as possible.
- Comments: From the same author who delivered Witches and Woodlands. This is an AU featuring Erika and Dlanor as detectives in Japan. All the characterization is in order, their reactions and personalities feel like Ryukishi himself wrote this. The mystery and the characters are believable and the narrative is marvelous. It's being updated frequently weekly-ish. The author has stated that this is solvable, so give it a try.
by Witch Hunter's Abroad
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by: immblueversion
- Synopsis: The sixth game has been won, and Battler, Beatrice, Bernkastel, and Lambdadelta are having a "friendly" tea party to celebrate. Beatrice had freed Battler from his own logic error, but she can't help but wonder: did he know the solution to the logic error all along?
- Comments: Written by the same guy behind Redaction of the Golden Witch, this story takes the theory that Battler purposefully trapped himself in a logic error as part of a gambit to revive Beatrice in EP6 and runs with it to the maximum, providing an awesome, alternative solution to his logic error that fits in perfectly with what was given in the game. Also features spot-on characterization, and a hilariously anti-climactic explanation to how Kanon took Battler's place. Naturally, it should only be read after EP6.
by renahh chen
Mind Games of Love
- Recommended by Sento
- Pairings: Jessica/Shannon
- Synopsis: The development of the friendship... and something more between Jessica and Shannon. Warning - This fanfiction assumes the reader has read episode seven, and as such contains major spoilers.
- Comments: It's rare that a shipping story is written completely in character, even more so when the pairing is at first glance an unconventional one. Yet, Melancholic manages to create an atmosphere true to its name, at times funny, and at other times sad. Melancholic explores one of the major elephants in the room with Umineko, and does so in a touchingly elegant style. If you've completed Umineko, or at the very least episode 7, you'll find a great work in Melancholic.
Lost in the Witch's Embrace
- Recommended by Mysterynovelist2010
- Pairings: Beatrice/Battler
- Synopsis: During one of their typical games, Beatrice finds herself falling for Battler and is curious as to if he feels the same.
- Comments: One of the best Beatrice x Battler fics I've read so far (although there aren't that many out right now), it really shows the kinder side of Beatrice and makes one rethink her image; the author shows her in a more sympathetic light, and the ending is WAFF worthy.
by Planar Piplup
The hidden fragment
- Recommended by Hikikotaku
- Pairings: Beatrice/Battler
- Synopsis: Takes place between EP 3 and 4. Battler finds himself enjoying a day in an amusement park with Beato, whom he calls his girlfriend. However, once he regains his memories, will he be able to accept the absurdity of such a farce?
- Comments: This is a well thought out dialogue-driven story, and stays true to Beato and Battler's personalities. It's a bit long, but well worth its time.
by Small Bombs
100 percent cocoa
- Recommended by WF
- Pairings: Beatrice/Battler
- Synopsis: PWP, high school AU. Battler and Beato have been together for several months now, but there's always something or someone that keeps them from... consummating their love. (Chapter four is a bonus chapter, and features a different universe in which Beato is Battler's teacher.)
- Comments: Yes, it's a short series of PWPs but - I'm saying this as someone who has never cared much for lemons and stuff - it's awesome. The author is skilled enough to keep Beatrice and Battler IC even as she writes them in an alternate universe: in this fic, even without chess and closed rooms, their relationship is still as amusing as it is in canon. This fic is one of the most entertaining I've ever read but each new Umineko fic that this author posts is a pleasant surprise: both her BeaBato and AmaAnge pieces are lovely and absolutely heartwarming; I'm surprised her fics don't get more attention seeing how rare Umineko fanfiction with good characterization is.
Turn of the Endless Sorcerer
- Recommended by Feral Phoenix
- Pairings: Battler/Beatrice
- Synopsis: A continuation of the "Beatrice's White Day" TIPS. While trying to finish up Beatrice's gift of chocolate, she and Battler banter, squabble, tease each other, and generally get in each other's way.
- Comments: what is this moe and why does it cute. Beyond continuing one of the most painfully adorable side stories that canon has to offer, this short story shows seashores' great grip on characterization, and is overall a lovely showcase of why Battler and Beatrice are so much fun to read in Umineko proper. From mutual trolling to mutual fantasizing, from struggling to stay nice to each other to frantically trying to keep their true emotions from being too obvious, this is perfect for anyone looking for something cute and silly.
by Jane Poirot
Zero of the Golden Witch
- Recommended by Pink Floyde, Shinji117
- Pairings: Battler/Beatrice
- Synopsis: Basically, an AU that diverges at EP5. A quick summery: Battler, with the help of Virgilia, hatches a plot to bring Beatrice back to life in a mortal form. However, being the new Game Master, he must contend with Bern and Lambda to bring the loops to an end. However, Battler and Beatrice begin to connect and become closer...
- Comments: One of the longest fics out there and incredibly well written. The plot doesn't move to fast or slow, and fits seamlessly into the existing structure of the series (to this Troper at least). The whole story flows perfectly and I enjoyed every second reading it. I laughed, cried, and felt really connected to the characters. My only gripe is how Kinzo is demonized, but that is a minor inconvience. One of the prime fics out there.
) by lordlee2
The Turn of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Recommended by Shinji117
- Crossover with Zero no Tsukaima.
- Synopsis: Louise summons a golden pretty butterfly as a familiar. Well, it's better than nothing, righ- or is that two butterflies? Wait, a whole swarm of- oh, bugger. On a more upbeat note, guess who just got a new apprentice? Insert ahaha.wav here.
- Comments: While this story is newly-written, with only one chapter up, the characterisation is well-done, there are no real spelling or grammatical mistakes, and the idea behind the story has the potential to be hilariously awesome. That, or Beatrice gets bored with the new world and roflstomps all over it, thanks to there being no magic resistance in the whole FoZverse.
and its sequel, The Counterattack of Haruhi Suzumiya
, by Oroboro2.
- Recommended by Aegeus.
- Crossover with Haruhi Suzumiya
- Synopsis: The SOS Brigade travels to Rokkenjima to investigate its mysteries. When they arrive, Haruhi's power activates Beatrice's game board once again, trapping her and Kyon in 1986, when the murders occurred. Bernkastel and Lambdadelta show up to play with their new victims. Can the SOS Brigade solve the mystery and deny that witches exist?
- Comments: Perfectly captures Kyon's snarky tone of voice, as well as the weird style of Umineko. The "battle sequences" using the red and blue truths are nicely done, too. It also does a good job of explaining the rules of Umineko, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Has its own page here.