Fanfic Recs: Steam Powered Giraffe
Who knew robots could generate so many feels? Well, the fanmily does, obviously, from bitter, bitter experience. As many of these fics well demonstrate.
A note on shipping: there isn't much in this fandom. However, occasionally a fluffy light romance will pop up, and it might be really good, so we do have a section for that.
Please remember to rec with a username, so we know who is suggesting things!
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
One, Two, Three, Four, I Declare A World War
- Anything by psilentasincjelli
- Recommended by Bookhobbit
- Daley has a fantastic understanding of all the characters. Most particularly, I would recommend Derelict, a crossover with Portal, but everything there is lovely.
- Writertimes, while a not wholly SPG fic blog, has a section just for it. And I recommended anything you can find by them.
- raccoonmama A great writer who brings unique ideas to every work. Especially recommended is "The Way Things Weren't," an AU in which Peter Walter I dies and bequeaths the robots to Delilah Moreau, for it's excellent exploration of a character we don't often see in fanworks.
The Masked saviour and the Robot that's Named After a Toilet
- Recommended by Bookhobbit
- Synopsis: The Steam Man Band's experience in the wars they've been through.
- Comments: Beautifully written, this is a great look at a subject often explored in fanfiction.
Seven Point Eight
- Recommended by Mechanical Hands
- Synopsis: There’s a fire and Slenderman saves Jon...or does he?
- Comments: A cliffhanger is at the end.
by The Tetrarch
- Recommended by loracarol
- Synopsis: On a road trip home from a concert, Steam Powered Giraffe encounter a feisty old lady, a natural disaster and a whole lot of pain. There are oodles of feels, a bunch of angst and hurt babbies, and fluff. PILES of fluff. Started before The Jon left & Sam became Hatchworth.
- Comments: Seven Point Eight is one of those lovely fics that manages to balance both the "hurt" and "comfort" parts of hurt/comfort fics. Even when the characters are at their lowest point, there's still hope of comfort, and healing. No one becomes super OOC in order to cause the "hurt", which is definitely a plus.
- There are some OC's, but they're definitely good ones, who help to enhance the story, and the SPG characters, instead of taking over, (YMMV, obviously).
- There is also a side story based on a comment in Seven Point Eight, called Goodbye, Old Man, about the bots in WWI.
- Recommended by ImperialPoison
- Synopsis: Upgrade makes the Spine try on a dress.
- Comments: A cute, short fic for fans in the mood for something quick and heartwarming. The characters are captured well and the humor is top notch. Despite Upgrade's canonical crush on the Spine, their relationship here is more akin to siblings.