Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by tropers for Smallville
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. After a few samples, you will be able to note the interests of the tropers recommending them, and judge whether you might be also interested in a certain 'fic.
Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found herenote
. Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexualnote
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Reviews of fics are encouraged, but if you choose to write one, please make it substantive, and give specific details about what you liked / disliked in the fic. If you want to give a fic a thumbs-up without writing a full review, you can add your troper handle to the Recommendations Line. Please refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Title of the Fanfic by Author OR Fic Trope Page, by Author (Link)
Recommended by: Troper Name
- Synopsis: What's the story about? Give here a brief summary of the plot. It would be also useful to point out in what moment of the series the story takes place. If it's a Gen Fic but it has some romantic elements, note here the characters involved too.
- Pairing(s): If it's a Shipping Fic, list here the pairings that feature in the fic (warn here if it's het, male slash or female slash). If it's a Gen Fic, remove this line. To tell the difference between the two, notice if the focus of the fic is on a romantic relationship or if it focuses on the other aspects of the story. In case of doubt, classify the story according to the genres it's been tagged: the Romance tag for Shipping, absence of that tag for Gen Fic.
- Tags: If any are known. This would be things like WAFF, Lemon, Dark Fic, any known Crossovers etc.
open/close all folders
Authors and Websites
Stories which primarily focus on the normal goings on of the cast.
by Toby Wolf 13
and Armageddon Aftermath
by Iolanthe Alias
Those Who Are Both
- Recommended by Joebro
- Synopsis: The first is a rewrite of Apocalypse, goes off the principle that the world would have been drastically worse if Clark had landed and been killed by Brainiac shortly after. Basically Clark as we know him goes to an alternate universe where the other Kryptonians have killed him and taken over the Earth many years before. The first deals with defeating the other Kryptonians and the second deals with fixing the world and finding a way home.
- Comments: Very well written and they go together comfortably, despite being written by different authors. Clark spends a lot of time bonding with the alternate Martha, and it's gives a fantastic rendition of the Clark-to-Superman transformation.
- Recommended by Looney Toons
- Synopsis: Superman eavesdrops on a confrontation between Batman and Lex Luthor and thinks back along the history of his enmity with Luthor.
- Comments: An interesting short speculating on the true nature of the relationship between Luthor and Superman. While it could be set in any Superman continuity, it makes reference to events in Smallville.
Stories which crossover with other characters or works.
The Darkness Within
Runaway Trains At 3 AM
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Status: Completed
- Synopsis: Oliver goes to talk to Bruce about joining the league and Bruce tells him he knows the truth about Duncan's accident. For that reason he does not trust Oliver. This became a sort of character study, from an idea suggested by CMR Rosa. It's not quite in line with the prompt but I hope you like what I've come up with. Oliver and Chloe are of course from Smallville, but Bruce is the Dark Knight .
- Tags: Crossover with The Dark Knight
- Comments: For those of us who saw the episode Reunion and lost respect for Oliver and think he got off to easy this is the story for you.
& Lines Of Communication
by Christina K.
- Recommended by Ambar Son of Deshar
- Synopsis: In the first one, Clark runs into Dawn in a train station and builds a friendship with her sometime in Season 1. The second one deals with their respective parental figures finding out about the number of phone bills and e-mails the two have been sending one another.
- Tags: Crossover with Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
The Clinton Street Car Crash
- Recommended by The Rich Sheik
- Synopsis: Lex didn't save the Kent farm. While preparing to leave Smallville the Kents are visited by Charles Xavier, who offers them a home at his school for the gifted in Bayville. Meanwhile Chloe spots "Bigfoot" near Smallville, which means Magneto can't be far behind...
- Pairings: Clark/Rogue, Lex/Lana
- Tags: Crossover with X-Men: Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, Superman: The Animated Series, and Spider-Man. Reviews to go on fic's main page.
- YMMV: The first echos many elements of Spider X. Later books drop much of the lightness and romance of the first story and get rather dark and complex (including Alpha Couple Clark and Rogue break up and Rogue becomes evil and betrays all the X-Men to the Brotherhood. There is little warning for this, as the author seems to constantly foreshadow Clark and Rogue working things out so readers should be warned that the third book reads like a totally different series.
by The Angels Have The Phone Box
Truth, Justice and the Gallifreyan Way
- Synopsis: Clark Kent being best friends with Lex Luthor? Meeting Lois Lane as a teenager? Who the hell is Chloe Sullivan! Someone's messing with Superman's timeline. The Time Lords used to prevent this. But, sadly, there's only one of those left these days.
- Pairing(s): Clark / Lois
- Tags: Crossover with Doctor Who; AU, Bittersweet Ending.
by OTR Barcelona
- Crossover with Doctor Who.
- Recommended by fruitstripegum
- Synopsis: There is a new teacher at Smallville High! He calls himself Dr John Smith, speaks with a British accent and wears a bowtie. But when Clark finds out why the new teacher has come, his world literally begins to fall apart.
Stories whose primary focus is on romantic or sexual relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Goodwrench
- Synopsis: Exactly what the title says. Humor.
- Pairing: Clark/Lex
- Tags: Slash
- Recommended by Eona
- Synopsis: A Clex fic in the style of the reality tv show Parental Control.
- Pairings: Clark/Lex
- Comments: One of the few fics written in script format that is not painful to read, and is also consistently funny throughout.
- Recommended by Eona
- Synopsis: When a freshman Clark wakes up twenty-five years into the future and can't reach his parents or Pete, he turns to Lex to help him figure it out. What a wonderful opportunity this is to correct certain aspects of their past...
- Comments: A cute Peggy Sue fic that manages to make the characters believable and has a pretty funny discussion of the characters' future.
Plans C Through...
- Recommended by Eona
- Synopsis: Lex rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Clark," he started haltingly. "I—I know your human health and reproduction teacher was a little preoccupied with seducing me and then plotting to have me killed, but I hope you're peripherally aware men cannot actually gestate."
- Comments: This fic is absolutely hilarious, with a good twist at the end too.
- Recommended by Veloren
- Synopsis: "Lex may be missing the point here... repeatedly." In which Lex attempts to regain Clark's friendship by reenacting famous movies and books as a template and fails miserably.
- Comments: No pairings, just general hilarity. Is a sequel to Plan B, and is followed by Plan... Uh, Something and Contingency Plans. Also on AO3.