Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Mulan
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
- Also her livejournal account for Mulan fanfics.
- Recommended by Pickled Plums
- This author has written amazing Alternate Universe fanfics, from placing the characters in China's Cultural Revolution in the 60s to an AU where Mulan managed to avoid getting discovered as a girl and returned home only to find herself engaged to her former commander.
- Recommended by Zephyr7
- Characters: Fa Li and Grandma Fa, with mentions of Mulan x Shang.
- Synopsis: Fa Li and her mother-in-law have plans.
- Comments: This was a delightful short one-shot about what could have happened during the dinner Shang stayed over for.
by Eduard Kassel
Soldiers, Soldering On
- Recommended by Molly
- Characters: All, focus on Mulan, Shan Yu, and the Huns; possible future Shan Yu/Mulan
- Synopsis: This is an Alternate Universe where Mulan is captured by the Huns at the Tung Shao Pass, and taken back to their homeland as a captive. During her time at the Hun camp, she finds herself caught up in a political power-play, and with some scheming by a Hun shaman, somehow engaged to Shan Yu.
- Comments: This author has really done his research, and it shows. The writing is fantastic, the characters are interesting and well-written, and the story is intricate and engaging. Updates are slow, but always worth the wait.
- Recommended by hindugoddess
- Characters: Mulan, the Three Army stooges, occasional appearances by Shang
- Synopsis: Several days in the life, a.k.a. What The Movie Neglected To Show You.
- Comments: A one-shot, this fic is short and sweet, and gets the tone of the dialogue exactly. It deals well with the subtleties of femininity that one can easily imagine Mulan having to work to cover up. Lots of fun, and fits perfectly into canon.
by Fear and Loathing XIX
Shan Yu's Victory
- Recommended by Veloren
- Synopsis: In which Mulan fights, grows, and bruises far too easily: all a part of her journey to manhood. Sort of. Set during the training period of the 'Be a Man' musical number.
- Comments: Also has a continuation in Toy Soldiers
by lightbird (AU)
- Recommended by Pickled Plums
- Pairing(s): Shang/Mulan, Shan Yu/Mulan
- Synopsis: This is an Alternate Universe where Mulan failed to notice the Huns escape from the avalanche, and Shan Yu successfully killed the Emperor and conquered China. Mulan infiltrates the palace by pretending to be one of the concubines, only to catch the interest of Shan Yu who senses something familiar about her...
- Comments: The story is dark but avoids complete pathos by making its protagonists and its villains intelligent and chillingly in-character. Shan Yu is also treated quite well and is given dimensions as a compelling conqueror and a love interest. While the main story is something of a love triangle between Mulan, Shang, and Shan Yu, the supporting characters are given their due and play essential parts to the story.