- Grandmother Fa taking Cri-Kee for a walk in a test of luck. Her appearance causes the traffic to end up in a road accident disaster, while she remains unscratched.
Grandmother Fa: Yup, this cricket's a lucky one!
Cri-Kee, shaking, promptly faints with fright inside his cage
- The entire sequence of Mulan first visit to an actual Chinese army camp, with special mentions below.
(Unnamed soldier gets punched in the tattooed spot.)
Ling: AH-HA-HA-HA-HA! I hope you can get your money back!
- And shortly after...
Mushu (to Mulan): Punch [Yao]. It's how men say hello.
(Mulan punches Yao, overdoing it, sending him flying over to Chien-Po. Yao is brought to a dizzying swoon.)
Mushu: Now, slap him on the behind. They like that!
(Mulan does as told.)
(Chien-Po carries Yao again.)
Chien-Po: Yao, relax and chant with me.
Yao (stiffening up in red-beet rage): Grrrr!
(Chien-Po proceeds to swing him softly left and right as if he were a teddy bear)
Chien-Po: Feel better...?
Yao: Nnnn. (to Mulan) Eh, you ain't worth my time, chicken boy.
(Mulan walks off but Mushu is insulted.)
Mushu (carried away)
: Chicken boy?! Say that to my face, you limp noodle!
(A camp brawl ensues.)
- And when Chien-Po eventually bumps the queue in the aforementioned camp brawl, sending the soldiers collapsing a-la Bookshelf Dominoes.
- And then when Shang first sees the brawl, and Chien-Po is just randomly eating a bowl of rice while all the fighting happens around him.
- The fish that Ling is swinging around towards the end is pretty funny for its sheer randomness. Then there's the fact that Mulan, who started the brawl, is cowering in the middle of the group, and everyone seems to have forgotten about her until Shang comes out.
- When Grandmother Fa sees Captain Shang at the end of the movie, it's between this and Squick.
Grandmother Fa: Hmph. She brought back a sword. If you ask me, she should have brought back a ma—
Shang: Excuse me, does Fa Mulan live here?
[after a brief silence]
Grandmother Fa: Woo! Sign me up for the next war!
- Yes, Disney has had an older woman hit on a younger man.
- Then he tries to talk to Mulan.
Shang: Uh, Mulan! Um... you forgot your helmet! Um... I guess it's your helmet. [to Mulan's father]
- What really sells it is her father's face as he motions for Mulan to take the helmet.
- Mushu and Cri-Kee deliver a message dressed as a General... mounted on a panda.
- This exchange:
- "Don't look at me, I ain't biting no more butts."
- The line "IIIIIIIIIIIIII LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"
- And Mushu's ensuing rant, partly for the head ancestor's reactions.
- Mushu's "dishonor" rant.
- The best part is how Mushu keeps calling Mulan's horse a "cow" and "heifer". Also, "DOWN, Bessie." after the horse snaps at him. And how he says his eyes can see straight through Mulan's armor and Mulan slaps him.
- When the trio are first shown in drag with "I'll Make A Man Out of You" playing. Nothing says manly like Wholesome Crossdressing!
- Seven words: "Does this dress make me look fat?" *slap*
- Not to mention the food boobs! When the apple falls out of Ling's dress, he subtly covers his (missing) right boob. Then, when he and Chien-Po take out the rest of their breast-fruit (watermelons and apples), Yao pulls out a banana—Ling gives him a very odd look.
- Look closely and you'll notice his apple moves down to his armpit.◊
- And the apple has a bite out of it, for some reason. Looks like Ling didn't put much effort into his food-breasts, either.
- During "I'll Make a Man Out of You", when they're shooting arrows at pomegranates, and Mushu sticks a fruit on Mulan's arrow. When Shang sees this, Mulan's face is PRICELESS.
- During the initial play of the song, when the troops are supposed to catch fish with their bare hands and Mulan pulls Yao's foot instead making him be dragged into the river, but what really sells it is her gingerly pushing the foot underwater trying to pretend nothing happened.
- And right after that, Mushu gives Mulan a fish that he caught with snorkeling gear.
- The sheer irony at the beginning of the song is priceless.
- Mushu's attempt to 'wake the stone dragon', ending with it falling to pieces.
- Then When the Great Ancestor calls the Stone Dragon Mushu maholds the head up to prove that Stone Dragon awoke. And the Great Ancestor bought it.
Great Ancestor: Great Stone Dragon, have you awakened?
Mushu: [holds up the Great Stone Dragon's head, which is all that's left of him] Uh, uh, uh, uh... Yes, I just woke up. I'm...I'm the Great Stone Dragon! Good morning! I will go forth and fetch Mulan. Did...Did I mention that I was the Great Stone Dragon?
Great Ancestor: Go! The fate of the Fa family, rests on your claws.
Mushu: Don't even worry about it. I will not lose face! [loses his balance and rolls down the hill; the head of the Great Stone Dragon lands on top of him] Ow, my elbow. Oh, oh. I know I twisted somethin'.
- "Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof..."
- "You missed! How could you miss? He was THREE FEET IN FRONT OF YOU!!!" (as Mushu goes sailing by on the rocket that he's currently complaining about being misdirected).
- After Mulan creates an avalanche during the snowy battle war, we see Ling, Chien Po and Yao charging into the fray...only to run away upon seeing the avalanche (which works perfectly as a metaphor for writer's block).
- Plus, the way Ling's helmet bounces off his head when he turns around to run away.
- This exchange:
: I should have prayed to the ancestors for luck. Mulan's Granmother
: How lucky can they be? They're dead!
- The ancestors all arguing about Mulan when she runs off to join the army:
Ancestor 1: My children never caused such trouble. They all became acupuncturists!
Ancestor 2: Well, we can't all be acupuncturists!
Ancestor 3: No! Your great-granddaughter had to be a CROSS-DRESSER!
- The last ancestor that Mushu "helped", Fa Deng. He appears for about four seconds, in military armor, with his head under his arm. "Yeah. Thanks a lot."
- Mushu's Dracula-style awakening.
- These lines from "A Girl Worth Fighting For."
Chi Fu: I've a girl back home who's unlike any other.
Yao to Mulan, under his breath: Yeah, the only girl who'd love him is his mother.
- Mushu with the kite strapped to his back. He looks absolutely terrifying to the guards. Also doubles as a Moment Of Awesome.
Mushu: (flies onto tower) Citizens, I need firepower.
Guard: (gasps and turns around) Who are you?
Mushu: (spreads out fake wings and says in a deep Batman voice) Your worst nightmare! (cue the guards jumping out of the tower to get away from him)
- When Shang tells Mulan that "[she] fight[s] good." Even the Emperor is pretty much saying a more eloquent version of 'You're stupid.' Also, the fact that Mulan a few minutes previous kind of nailed Shang in the head while falling from the roof. Ouch.
- Another incident:
Mulan: (to Shang) Would you like to stay for dinner?
Mulan's Grandmother: (shouting across the yard) WOULD YOU LIKE TO STAY FOREVER?
- So awkward and inappropriate it startles Shang back into a semblance of his usual cool, snarky self.
- Mushu Shield Surfing on the mountain and searching for Mulan. The scene itself was pretty funny.
Mushu: Mulaaaaaaan! Mulan? *pulls a head out of the snow*
Mushu: *casually puts head back in* Nope.
- Mulan preparing to enter the army camp.
Mulan: Excuse me. Where do I sign in? Ah, I see you have a sword. I have one too! They're very manly, and tough. *attempts to unsheathe the sword and proceeds to drop it*
- Mushu: "And all cos Miss Man decided to take her little drag show on the road!"
- The portrait of Chi Fu with the Emperor in his tent◊ - Chi Fu is shaking the Emperor's hand with an absolutely gleeful smile, while the Emperor is being his usual stern, dignified self.
- The reprise of "A Girl Worth Fighting For" in the sequel, complete with a slower beginning. And the fact they actually got to finish the song
Yao: "I'd even kiss you!"
"For a girl worth fighting—
(they are thrown out of the bar door)
- Also this lyric as Ling grabs chopsticks from a girl.
Chein Po: If Ling can find a girl who likes his chopstick nose trick
Yao: Oh he'd really better just propose quick.
(Girl punches Ling in the face)
- Mushu keeps calling Khan, Mulan's horse, a cow. When Mulan's secret is blown wide open, and Cri-Kee finally admits to Mushu that he's not lucky:
Whaddya mean "you're not
to me? *turns to Khan* And what are you, a sheep?!
- At the bathing scene:
Ling: SOME King of the Rock. *Yao pushes him off* AGH!!!
- Near the end:
Emperor: The flower that blooms in adversity, is the most rare and beautiful of all.
You don't meet a girl like that every dynasty! *puts on his hat
- In the PC game "Mulan Animated Storybook", when you select Yao, Mushu breaks out some wisecracking lines, such as:
Mushu: I've heard of black-eyed peas, but this is ridiculous!
- Grandmother Fa in one scene says about the matchmaker:
- Darn near everything that comes out of Grandmother Fa's mouth is hilarious (the arguably insensitive line mentioned above aside).
- After Mulan is getting ready for visiting the matchmaker her father prays at the family temple.
Fa Zhao: "Please help Mulan impress the matchmaker today." (Cue the dog running in around him, chasing a bone tied to his head, chicken fed tied to his back and chickens fluttering into the temple... caused by Mulan.) "Please... please help her."
- "I think I'd better go and... pray... some more..."
- "Lemme here ya say aaaahhh!" "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" "That's close enough!"
- Mushu: (about seeing Mulan's war face) "Oh, I think my bunny slippers just ran for cover."
- Mushu throwing Cri-kee out of Mulan's porridge. "Hey get out of there! You gonna make people sick!"
- And Mulan with her mouth full of porridge, Mushu saying "then you gotta kick the other kid's butt" and Mulan saying with her mouth full "But I don't want to kick the other kid's butt."
- The exasperated look on the Chief Ancestor's face as he says that Mushu can be a guardian again.
- Yao fires an arrow with rope to save Mulan & Shang
Yao: "Now, I'll just pull them to safe-" *rope runs out before Yao can grab it* "-ty..."
Yao: (sobbing) "I let them slip through my fingers!" *arrow with rope attached to it lands in his hands, pulling him to the edge of the cliff*
- Followed every man jumping to add their strength and pull Mulan and Shang on Khan back up, with Chien-Po casually walking to them and picking them up effortlessly.
- Not to mention the faces of the rest of the army when Chien-Po picks them up.
- Shang gets a Shirtless Scene in one scene and fires a arrow at the top of a pole for his warriors in training to get. Yao's turn comes up and he mutters to himself, "I'll get that arrow, pretty boy. And I'll do it with my shirt on."
- And then there's the Matchmaker scene:
Matchmaker: Fa Mulan.
Mulan: (standing up) Present!
Grandma Fa: "Who spit in her bean curd?"
- When the Matchmaker says the word "dignity", she covers her face with ink.
- Then, Mulan pours tea on the table on accident due to staring at the Matchmaker's ink-beard.
- And when everyone outside can hear the chaos Mulan is causing with the matchmaker Grandmother Fa says obliviously to Mulan's mother: "I think it's going well. Don't you?"
- Mushu's "Well, let's go kick some hunny-bun!"
- Little Brother, Mulan's puppy, smacking headfirst into the wall before running out the door.
- Not to mention that *clonk* noise that causes. It basically sounds like wood hitting...well, wood.
- When the Emperor rewards Mulan with his crest and Shan Yu's sword, she gives him a great big hug.
Yao: Is she allowed to do that?
Shang, Ling and Chien Po: (Group shrug.)
- Chi Fu being laughed out of the bathing pond by the soldiers:
- "Hi, I had to cut poverty in the school gymnasium."
- "APPENDIX DOMINATING DEATH!"
- Mulan's false name would be pronounced Fa Ping, I think you can fill in the missing letter.