Fan Fic: The Monster Mash
The Monster Mash is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic by FredMSloniker.A collection of six horror stories revolving around members of the Mane Six encountering the supernatural. The stories are independent of one another and some are darker than the others. Despite the horror theme, the ponies remain very much in character and the optimistic tone of the series shows through.The six chapters are:
- Fluttershy: The Curse of the Night - When Angel falls sick, Fluttershy ventures into the Everfree Forest at night to find a remedy. Though she faces danger, she escapes... but not unchanged.
- Rarity: Blood and Water - You know the story. Rarity gets seduced by a creature of the night, and her friends don't realize what's happening until it's too late. They find the vampire who turned her and destroy him. But then what happens?
- Rainbow Dash: The Big Battle - Discord's defeat didn't erase every trace of his influence on Equestria. Fortunately, hard-working ponies are already gathering the remnants of his power into Manehattan for easy disposal. What could possibly go wrong?
- Pinkie Pie: Gallows Humor - Pinkie Pie, Ponyville's premiere prankster, is dead. So why haven't the pranks stopped?
- Applejack: One of the Herd - Applejack may be in charge of Ponyville's biggest farming community, but that doesn't mean she can't take a break now and then. Besides, tonight's meteor shower should be even better than last night's...
- Twilight Sparkle: The Case of Wild Clover the Warder - It's a boring day in Canterlot, and Twilight Sparkle has time to kill. Maybe picking up an old lot of books will brighten her mood.
Tropes common to multiple stories in The Monster Mash:
- Big Damn Heroes: Occurs several times, most notably in Rarity: Blood and Water and Rainbow Dash: The Big Battle.
- Bittersweet Ending: Most of the stories leave the main character marked by their experience in some fashion.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Much like the series itself, the ponies go through hell to get their (bittersweet) ending in most of the stories.
- Shout-Out: Several:
Tropes appearing in Fluttershy: The Curse of the Night
- The Cavalry: Played straight with the timely arrival of Princess Luna.
- Challenging the Chief: Twilight Sparkle's fight with the herd leader.
- Near Villain Victory: Twilight Sparkle faces the werepony alpha in a dual over Fluttershy's fate. In the course of this duel we discover that not only are these lycanthropes stronger and faster than normal ponies but magic resistant as well. Despite putting up an unexpectedly good fight Twilight is defeated. And then Princess Luna arrives.
- Our Werewolves Are Different:
Tropes appearing in Rarity: Blood and Water
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The Mane Six are well prepared to take on Count Drache.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Well, she's not evil, but Rarity discovers that following her transformation, Winnoa doesn't like her. Opalesence, on the other hand, doesn't care.
- Expy: Count Drache is one to Dracula.
- "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner: Rarity: "I only see one monster here."
- Friendship Moment: Applejack defending Rarity from the vampire hunter, despite how uneasy Rarity's new condition makes her.
- Holy Burns Evil: Holy symbols can block a vampire's powers and holy water burns them. Rainbow Dash takes this up to eleven by arriving at the confrontation with Count Drache pushing a rain cloud that was blessed by Celestia herself.
- Knight Templar: The vampire hunter.
- My Brother Is Off Limits: Not stated outright, but a significant source of the friction between Applejack and Rarity.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Pinkie uses hers to good effect against Count Drache.
- Our Vampires Are Different:
- Staring Down Cthulhu: Count Drache attempts to use his vampiric mesmerism on Fluttershy. She meets his gaze with her own and it's the vampire who looks away.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Rarity gains this...sort of. She can turn into a bat at will at night, but discovers to her dismay that she ends up stuck like that during the day if she doesn't change back in time.
- Weakened by the Light: Although they don't burst into flames when exposed to sunlight, vampires lose much of their power in the daytime. Unfortunately for Count Drache, Twilight Sparkle has the sun on speed dial.
- You Do NOT Want To Know: Pinkie Pie keeps Rarity supplied with blood to drink. Rarity concludes that she doesn't want to know where Pinkie is getting it from.
Tropes appearing in Rainbow Dash: The Big Battle
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The salamander and Dash.
- Kaiju: Giant monsters are the theme in this story.
Tropes appearing in Pinkie Pie: Gallows Humor
- Noodle Incident: left unanswered throughout the story is the question of just how Pinkie died. But apparently it was spectacular.
- Our Ghosts Are Different:
- Take a Third Option: Rainbow Dash chooses this.
- Verbal Judo: Rainbow Dash of all ponies in Pinkie Pie: Gallows HumorRainbow: "Pinkie, this isn't funny anymore!"
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Pinkie when she realizes that she's dead. Subverted, in that she's largely unaware of her rage awakening the undead and calms down.
Tropes appearing in Applejack: One of the Herd
- Alien Invasion: Of the infiltration variety.
- Despair Event Horizon: Applejack crosses one when she realizes all of her friends and family have been taken over.
- Glamour Failure: Applejack can sense something is off with her family and friends, and she's also immune to the spore's Mind Control.
- Puppeteer Parasite: The alien spores.
Tropes appearing in Twilight Sparkle: The Case of Wild Clover the Warder
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Happens at the end.
- Epiphany Therapy: Pinkie Pie provides this.
- Fourth Wall Observer: Pinkie Pie is shown to be this, and Party Popper is implied to be one. By the end, the spell has made Wild Clover and Twilight Sparkle one as well.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: This happens to Wild Clover and Twilight. The latter gets better; we don't know what happened to Wild Clover.
- Humans Are Cthulhu:The big reveal.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: Twilight reads one of these.
- Things Pony Was Not Meant to Know: Stated literally. Twilight's friends are all able to somehow tell that she's speaking in capital letters.