Fanfic: Ryuugis The Master Of Death
The Master of Death by Ryuugi (Also available at FF.Net, albeit not fully up-to-date, under rgm0005) is a Harry Potter/The Dresden Files crossover fanfic.After a long and fulfilling life, Harry Potter has died. However, ‘to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure’, as one Justin DuMorne is about to find out. While the other Harry finds his life irrevocably marked by this encounter, Potter soon finds himself trying to find out the truth of his own involvement with the Dresden universe, which involves the headaches of time travel.
This fanfic contains examples of the following:
- Affably Evil: What everyone in the Dresdenverse thinks Potter is. He's genuinely good, though.
- Anti-Villain/Punch Clock Villain: Potter is this in terms of the Dresdenverse. Rashid openly admits he has no beef with Potter but still tells him to GTFO.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Potter was head of the Aurors.
- Badass Grandpa: Potter.
- Black Cloak: Rashid's preferred outfit, which gets Potter concerned for good reason.
- Combat Pragmatist: Potter prefers to strike from surprise, remains invisible using the cloak constantly when in combat, Teleport Spams, uses Apparation to Tele-Frag people, steals foci, and generally just uses any and all methods to win fights as quickly as possible.
- Dark Is Not Evil: We know Ebenezar and Rashid aren't evil, but the amount of dark magic on them has Potter justifiably concerned.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Potter is being genuinely nice but pretty much everyone he encounters is scared shitless of him.
- Fallen Hero/Tragic Monster: One of the mentioned downsides of being a Legilimens is knowing that people used to be better before their fall.
- For Want of a Nail: Without having to kill Justin himself, Ebenezar recognising and taking him in directly and having Elaine with him, Dresden is somewhat better adjusted and gets along better with SI.
- Gentleman Snarker: Potter.
- Humanoid Abomination: Potter due to crossing the universes.
- Kill It with Fire: Fiendfyre. Potter is far more skilled than Vincent Crabbe ever was. He lights the sea on fire.
- Last-Second Chance: Potter offers one to Justin and the vampires and is obviously refused.
- Lethal Harmless Powers: Potter kills a few vampires by Vanishing their heads, and uses deliberate Splinching to kill Justin DuMorne and several other vampires.
- Lethal Joke Character: Potter has a preference for "schoolyard jinxes". Others in his own universe found it weird, but as he notes, they can still stop a dark wizard without needing to resort to Unforgivables.
- Necessarily Evil: Rashid's view on the White Council's enforcement of the Laws.
- Old Master: Potter himself. Well over a hundred years as head of the Aurors, with an unspecified amount of time actually climbing the ranks, by the time he died and fighting dark wizards all the way makes you pretty sharp. Not foolproof, though.
- Outside-Context Villain: Outsiders are this by definition, but without even going into Potter's specific powers, spells that the Potterverse take for granted like transfiguration are unknown to the Dresdenverse.
- Portal Cut: Potter uses splinching offensively.
- Self-Disposing Villain: Both Justin and Victor Sells make the mistake of summoning the Master of Death and getting Potter, who most disapproves of their actions.
- Shout-Out: "You see, over my long life, I have seen many strange and wondrous things. However… I must admit, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”
- Shrouded in Myth: The Master of Death.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Potter gets smacked with it and no one in-story will stop talking about it. For example, he has somehow met Mab.
- Tranquil Fury: Potter a whole lot.