Fanfic / Of Scienceand Magics The Side Stories
An Original Flavor fanfiction that's written by Knowledgeseeker66. The story can be found here
This story is a prequel/spin-off of Stormwolfex's original story, "Of Science and Magics." The story primarily takes place years before the events of the original story. "Of Science and Magics: The Side Stories" chronicles the past of numerous characters, including what happened to Touma during his time in the Big Spider.
The story was authorized by Stormwolfex prior to his departure from fanfiction which left the original story in indefinite limbo. However, Knowledgeseeker66's story is still ongoing and occasionally updated. According to Knowledgeseeker66, Stormwolfex provided a number of details regarding the story for both the past and future.
Tropes found in this fanfiction:
- Action Girl: Misaka Mikoto, Michiko, Konori Mii
- Ascended Extra: Wataru, Konori, and Komaba who either have minor roles or merely mentioned have a much larger role in this story.
- Asshole Victim: There are a lot of them throughout this story.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: At the end of every chapter in Knowledgeseeker66's story, he has certain characters, normally Touma and Mikoto break the fourth wall in Omakes for either comical or informational purposes. They also lampshade about certain things that happen in the chapters or the story arcs.
- Bonus Material: There is bonus material at the beginning and end of each of Knowledgeseeker66's chapters. At the beginning, there is a haiku poem, and at the end of the chapter there are omakes where characters break the fourth wall.
- The Cutie: Sasaki Ai, Michiko, Misaka Mikoto
- Cynicism Catalyst: Touma witnessed almost all his friends from the Child Error facility die, including Ai.
- Dark Fic: That would be putting it lightly.
- Darker and Edgier: This story is darker than the original.
- Dark and Troubled Past: A number of characters either have dark pasts or they are implied to have had dark pasts.
- Touma - He witnessed a number of his childhood friends, including Ai, die before his eyes.
- Jūhō - Chapter 15 implies he was responsible for the accident that caused his appearance and killed numerous people.
- Kyuzo - Shares a past with Jūhō.
- Demoted to Extra: Due to this being a prequel, Misaka Mikoto is reduced to a reoccurring role, Saten and Uiharu have only made occasional appearances, and Kuruko has not made any appearances outside of end chapter omakes.
- Early-Bird Cameo: All of the Level Fives make an appearance in Chapter Eleven.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Jūhō is by far the least evil villain to appear in the story so far. When he is completing a job, he is extremely brutal in the execution of his work, but he refuses to kill civilians or put them in harms way.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: There have been a fair number of these throughout the story.
- Japanese Delinquents: The Skill-Out, including Touma, can be considered this since they none of them attend school.
- Kick the Dog: The villains of this story do it on a regular basis.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Jūhō does this as his job in most cases.
- Kill the Cutie: Ai suffers a terrible fate.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Dozens upon dozens of characters have appeared in this story so far. The cast has been comprised of a strong mixture of canon and original characters.
- Original Character: About half of the cast of characters are original characters. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing.
- Ship Tease: Between Michiko and Jūhō especially in Chapter 15.
- Wham Episode: This story is filled with them. It is hard not to list a chapter that does not have at least one wham episode.