, written by Booky Brony
, is an Alternate Universe Fic
set in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
universe where humans exist in Equestria, but there one major catch;the humans have become enslaved by the Equestrians
Indeed, for reason currently unknown, even to Ponies today, humans have become a source to slave labor to their Pony master, being either used for basic hard labor or as a status symbol.
The story centers around one human boy in particular named Chains, who started out just before being bought by the parents of one (then filly) Twilight Sparkle, and was assigned to be her personal servant. However, the story focuses on how the slave boy Chains and the friendship he forms with his said Pony mistress which gets progressively stronger as the years go by.
This Fanfic contains examples of:
- Darkfic: Actually mostly subverted, because despite the dark twist placed on the humans, the fic mostly follows the MLP canon to a reasonable extent, to the point where Equestria could be looked upon as a Crapsaccharine World merely from the humans' point of view.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When Nightmare Moon saw Chains for the first time and found out he's a slave, she was actually somewhat disgusted by it, and when she turned back to Princess Luna, it's vaguely hinted that the dislike the enslavement of humans was still carried over to Luna, but Luna kept it to herself after changing back.
- For Want of a Nail / In Spite of a Nail: The presence and enslavement of humans has obviously changed the overall world and backstory drastically, but so far the Nightmare Moon arc largely follows canon.
- Happiness in Slavery: After he was bought by Twilight's parents, Chains has shortly developed a strong friendly relationship with Twilight and her family, and is well appreciated for his work.
- I Did What I Had to Do: A flashback has Celestia hinting at this to an injured and dying human prince, likely regarding the enslavement of the humans.
- JerkAss: Blue Star, a pegasus Royal Guard for Twilight in Canterlot. He constantly acts condescending towards Chains, to the point of Fantastic Racism...and attacking Chains and trying to cut off his hands. He's stopped by Twilight and subsequently kicked out of the Royal Guard by Shining Armor.
- Meaningful Name: Twilight gave Chains his name in response to the chain marks he had when they first met as children, though it could also symbolize the position he and rest of his species are currently in.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: It turns out that not everypony in Equestria accepts the humans' enslavement. Pegasi are largely abolitionists, and Rainbow Dash is even somewhat hostile towards Twilight when they first meet because of this. Applejack has human twins working on her farm, but they don't wear slave collars and she even considers them unofficial members of her family. She also mentions—quite proudly—that the Apple Family has never had much use for slave labor.
- Fridge Brilliance kicks in with the Pegasi when you remember they mostly live in (literal) cloud cities where humans wouldn't even be able to go. Even though cloud walking spells do exist, only Unicorns can cast them and they are only temporary. In addition, even with such a spell humans wouldn't be able to work the weather, which makes up by far the majority of their industry. With their inability to function in a practical role and the sheer impracticality in even attempting to keep one as a status symbol, Pegasi have no real cultural bias to be pro-slavery and can view it more objectively.
- Even More Fridge Brilliant that the Pegasi could be considered the industrial working class next to the earth ponies' and unicorns' farmer and upper/aristocratic classes. Abolitionism flourished in the wake of industrialization.
- Mundane Utility: Rarity mentions that she'd like to purchase a human, but not for the status symbol they would give. She just thinks it'd be nice to have some help around the shop.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Contrary to what some people might think, Princess Celestia remains basically as reasonable and benevolent as she is in the MLP canon, even allowing Twilight to bring Chains with her when Celestia offered to personally tutor her. And while it is vaguely hinted that she allowed or even caused the enslavement of the humans, it's quite clear she took no pleasure in it
- Twilight could be considered this as far as being Chains' mistress—and Spike's boss—goes.