Total Drama Island: A New Beginning
is a Fix Fic
of the first season of Total Drama
. The teams are switched around slightly. The Screaming Gophers consist of Owen, Cody, Gwen, Bridgette, Heather, Courtney, Duncan, Eva, Harold, Trent, and Noah, while the Killer Bass consists of Justin, Katie, Sadie, Lindsay, Beth, Tyler, Geoff, DJ, Leshawna, Ezekiel, and Izzy.
This story shows examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Heather and Duncan's alliance pretty much goes nowhere, given what happens to the former.
- Affably Evil: Justin is very nice, polite and soft spoken. All while manipulating everybody in his team and doing all kind of henious actions without showing any kind of remorse.
- Allohistorical Allusion:
- During one of her first confessional entries, Heather says that she hand in mind to pick two people dumb enough to manipulate, even saying that Lindsay and Beth would be perfect candidates.
- Big Bad:
- Big Bad Ensemble: Justin for the Killer Bass, Heather for the Screaming Gophers.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Duncan forced Heather to form an equal partnership with him if she wants his help, much to her chagrin.
- Big "NO!": Tyler lets out a long one beofre he has to face his phobia of chickens.
- Brainless Beauty: Subverted. Noah thinks that Justin is all looks and no intelligence. If he and Justin weren't on different teams, Justin would show him how wrong he is.
- Cargo Cult: Izzy and Ezekiel's hat. According to herself, that's why she steals it from him all the time.
Izzy: The toque has powers that even I cannot comprehend. I am its most humble servant.
- The Charmer: Justin, on both girls and boys.
- The Chessmaster: Justin manipulates and controls the members of his team almost like real chess pieces. By the second challenge, the Killer Bass are firmly in his grip.
- Combat Pragmatist: Justin has this approach towards challenges.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Noah has this reaction when Cody mentions that his fear is "to defuse a time bomb under pressure."
Noah: As opposed to the time bomb where there is no pressure? Please diffuse this tickling bomb, Mr. Anderson, but don't feel pressured in any way. Take all the time in the world.
- Expy: Justin here ressembles much more Alejandro than his canon counterpart. Fortunately, he hasn't become a Villain Sue.
- For Want of a Nail: The story shows how different TDI would have been by swapping a few members from one team to another. There's also a bit of Alternate Character Interpretation when it comes to some characters.
- Game Changer: Heather being transferred to the Killer Bass. Given her personality and that he's one of the few people who figured out Justin's nature, it will shake a lot the KB dynamics.
- Hannibal Lecture: Noah gives one to Courtney in chapter 5 regarding her obvious plan to use Bridgette and Trent.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Noah and Cody show signs of becoming this as the story goes on. The author has explicitly stated in the description of the story that NoCo will not happen.
- Hidden Depths: Izzy towards the end of the fifth challenge is shown to have a soft and vulnerable side.
- I'm Not Here to Make Friends: Or get a girlfriend, in Noah's case (which is the complete opposite of Cody).
- Innocently Insensitive: Lindsay can be this at times.
- Jedi Mind Trick: Izzy hypnotizes Leshawna so she forgets hearing Ezekiel's sexist comment.
- Kick the Dog: Justin a few times.
- Love Triangle: Cody/Bridgette/Harold, Owen/Izzy/Ezekiel, Tyler/Lindsay/Justin.
- Manipulative Bastard: Justin, like you wouldn't believe. It reached a now level during the fifth challenge, where he made Katie and Sadie think that the other badmouthed them behind their backs and hate each other, just because he could.
- Replacement Goldfish: Gwen rebuffed Bridgette's offer of friendship because she thinks that Bridgette is trying to replace Courtney, who was eliminated the previous challenge with her. Although the truth is that Gwen thinks that Bridgette has feelings for Trent.
- Running Gag: A bucket of water falling on Cody, and Izzy stealing Ezekiel's hat.
- Satellite Character: Tyler is far more concerned about getting Lindsay's attention than the competition. And Justin knows how to take advantage of this as well. Still, he's not a Satellite Love Interest.
- Shout-Out: After Ezekiel performs his talent during the Talent Show challenge (to shoot an arrow through ten rings), Noah asks if he can build a giant wooden horse as well.
- Noah and Cody are Mass Effect fans.
- In a more conventional example, the author mentions The Kobold Necromancer as the inspiration for writing this story.
- Out of Focus: So far, the Killer Bass get far less focus and attention than the Screaming Gophers.
- Villain Decay: Heather. Not that she isn't any different from how she is in canon (Season 1 at least), but the story clearly shows that without somebody dumb or naive enough to manipulate, she's a far less effective villain.