The Battle of New Mombasa
is (obviously) a Halo fan fic, written mostly out of boredom as an attempt to detail what exactly went on during the events of Halo 2 and ODST that the player would not see. Written similarly to the much more famous Tiberium Wars
by Peptuck, it follows soldiers and ordinary citizens around Mombasa during the Battle of Earth. The author/troper doesn't particularly want to toot his own horn (and quite frankly finds that sort of behavior sexually deviant and more than slightly physically impossible), he'll let the tropes invoked speak for themselves.
Also, it updates fairly irregularly.
Tropes in The Battle of New Mombasa include:
- Anyone Can Die: Oh so very true, let's keep a running tally, shall we?
- Author Appeal: Weapons. Lots of them. As well as the military.
- Code Name: A whole ream of them, some of them serious and others less so.
- Cold Sniper
- Crazy Awesome: Rear Admiral (Upper Half) Jalila Chavez. Private Mel Takeshi. Colonel THOMAS HOGARTH.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "Shoot the turret,you asshole! Shoot the turret!"
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Commander 'Sraomee plays one for his men, but is largely a more sympathetic sort of guy when they can't see him.
- Fridge Brilliance: Lampshaded. The NMPD have highly-regulated military-grade weapons. Where did they come from?
- Friendly Sniper
- Fun with Acronyms: My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment, Sir! - M.A.R.I.N.E.S.
- Gun Porn
- Hell Fire: Covenant plasma weapons.
- Improbable Piloting Skills: The Backswords, possibly justified in that the Skyhawk is just that awesome.
- Interservice Rivalry: The Marines, the Army, and the Navy.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Looking that way already...
- Oh Crap: Colonial Militia, meet the Mgalekgolo. Watch the decapitated Mgalekgolo get back up and continue walking.
- Pet the Dog: Already with the Sangheili Ranger Commanders, who generally behave much like ordinary humans.
- Super Soldier: The ONI reconnaissance operators, which are apparently Diet Spartans.
- Semper Fi: Somewhat subverted. The UNSC Marine Corps shows up, but the dominant focus is on pretty much everyone else. The author has voiced a certain distaste for focusing on the Marines.
- Shown Their Work: The dialogue between the Skyhawk pilots verges on the incomprehensible if the results of their actions weren't made obvious. Said dialogue is based on brevity codes.
- Shout Out: Already several:
- Sophisticated as Hell
- Tank Goodness: The M 808 A "Deathstalker" MBT.
- The War Room: Mentioned and shown with HIGHCOM-6.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: The ANVIL-IV Air-to-Surface Missile.
- War Fic: Duh.
- War Is Hell: Oh yes it is...
- Your Head Asplode: Used frequently but not all the time describing headshots.