Fan Fic: Revelations Of Destiny
Revelations of Destiny
is a Doorstopper
length Kim Possible
fanfic that follows Kim's personal journey as she goes through some fundamental changes and discovers the truth about herself, and where she came from. The story has been in-progress for over four years, and shows no sign of ending any time soon.
The story begins In Medias Res
, with a brief overview of how much Kim has changed in the last three months, as seen from the perspective of Ron and Monique. Monique corners Kim the next day, and the next seventeen chapters detail How We Got Here
As it turns out, Kim's life has turned a little crazy. She's taken an "internship" (at least that's what she told her parents) for a company called Corsair International, under the tutelage of a woman called Corscan Mataii. On top of being a 27 year old CEO in an industry where that's all but unheard of, she is also considerably skilled in the ultimate style of martial arts, known only as [The Way
]. She has been teaching Kim the skills she needs to begin learning the style, as well as entering into a more... personal relationship with the teen hero in a way that takes Kim an entire morning and most of the afternoon to explain.
But that's not the weirdest of Kim's problems, nor is it entirely the source of the insane stress that's caused her to have a much looser grip on her temper than ever before. That honor belongs to the one person she never imagined she would think about in the way she's started to: Shego.
The story is notable for its insane devotion to even the most minute details, as nothing about the setting or the characters' daily lives is skipped in the interest of getting to the "good parts." Everything is thought out to a nearly obsessive level of detail, and the characterization is handled in a way that makes sense and is actually believable, unlike many other stories of its ilk.
Also, the story gets very, very NSFW
after chapter nine, so don't read it if you're easily offended. If you can handle it, however, the story is a truly amazing piece of fiction that demands to be read.
The author has compiled a few reference materials here
, and another artist has drawn quite a bit of fanart for the piece, which you can find here
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: The sword Kim receives from Corscan is apparently capable of cutting through a telephone pole, assuming it's the real item. Kim doesn't exactly test it, considering its value is around fifty million dollars.
- Action Girl: Overloaded with them, just like the show. Kim and Shego are the most prominent examples.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Pai Mei. The bad news is, his skill level means that his boasting isn't exactly unwarranted.
- Author Appeal: Tends to come through a lot in the physique of the characters, as the author has a preference for (extremely) muscular women. Corscan is the most obvious case of this, but Kim and Shego are clear examples as well. He is also a fan of Alice Cooper, and it shows.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Kim and Shego after getting jumped by Motor Ed's gang following an Alice Cooper concert.
- Badass Boast:
Corscan: Youíve been kickiní my ass because Iíve been devotiní so much effort to stayiní within the boundaries of the flawed styles Iíve been usiní that itís like Iím only half here darliní. That ends now; youíre ready to face my true Form Kim. Aní Iím sorry to say, youíre ready to start losiní. ... Attack me if you dare; I will crush you.
- Berserk Button: Shego has quite a collection of them, including being called by her Embarrassing First Name, as well as having it insinuated that she designed her house with four extra bedrooms with her brothers in mind.
- Bi the Way: Shego.
- Casual Danger Dialog: All the time.
- Character Development: Pretty much a necessity for Kim to not only realize she's Gay, but to pursue a romance with Shego. The first twenty or so chapters are spent getting her into that mindset, but she still grows quite a bit after that.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Shego releases a truly epic barrage after Drakken suggests she try cursing less.
- Cool Car: Shego's 1967 Chevy Impala, which she customized with twice the horsepower, a reinforced frame and numerous other improvements, as well as adding firepower.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Subverted with Corscan, though she's hardly a saint, and played absolutely straight with Reggie Silver, her replacement.
- Curbstomp Battle: What was supposed to happen when Corscan unleashed [The Way] on Kim, but didn't because she'd pushed her to the point where she wasn't holding back at all. Pai Mei has also more problems with Kim and Shego than he thought, Kim manages even to touch his cheek.
- Darker and Edgier: Somewhat. While Kim has her eyes opened to the way the world really works, nothing really changes about her core personality, and she still maintains her save-the-world lifestyle in the midst of everything else. If anything, the more mature setup simply allows for deeper storytelling than the cartoon allowed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Taken to truly legendary levels with Shego, though Monique, Corscan and even Kim get their fair share of this as well.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Kim is Genre Savvy enough to know that Shego wouldn't react well to being pitied, so it ends up being lampshaded more often than not.
- Doorstopper: Currently at seventy (rather long) chapters, with plenty more on the way.
- Embarrassing First Name: Shego's is Shene (pronounced "Shane").
- Even Evil Has Standards: When Charlie, one of Motor Ed's henchmen, starts acting like a raging douchebag to Kim and Shego, Ed fires him quite spectacularly.
- Gray and Grey Morality: Corscan introduces this concept to Kim, and her interactions with Shego make it even more clear, but characters are allowed to make up their own minds about how they want the world to work, which of course is always juxtaposed against the way it actually does.
- Groin Attack: Corscan gives a pretty nasty one to Shego at one point.
- Healing Factor: Shego has one, though the fic does point out that recovering from more severe injuries uses up a lot of calories, so she has to eat an entire buffet afterwards.
- Healing Vat: Corscan apparently has one, or so Shego theorizes, since it's the most likely explanation for why Corscan didn't have any bruises when Kim saw her after she and Shego fought.
- How We Got Here: The first twenty or so chapters of the story are mostly just flashbacks to catch us up with the dramatic change in Kim.
- In Medias Res: How the story begins.
- Jerkass: Pai Mei. The author claims that writing him is simply a process of channeling his inner asshole and dialing it Up to Eleven.
- Lightning Bruiser: Corscan.
- May-December Romance: Kim and Corscan don't appear to count as this at first, given that Corscan is supposedly 27, but given that she was apparently involved in the same sort of relationship with Nana, she's been around for a lot longer than that.
- Mood Whiplash: Chapter 68 starts off with Kim and Shego going to a karaoke club in Paris and ends with Shego getting shot.
- Never Live It Down: Ron has a number of incidents that qualify as this, including the time his gym clothes supposedly set off the fire sprinklers when he finally cleaned out his locker.
- Nobody Poops: Averted, at least in one chapter. After returning from a dinner date with Corscan, Kim has to excuse herself to take a dump.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Kim unleashes a truly brutal one on Shego, giving her two cracked ribs, a broken wrist, a cracked femur, a dislocated jaw, and various bruises and lacerations (she does feel sorry for it afterwards, though). She also puts Monkey Fist in the hospital after seeing him try to kill Ron.
- Open Minded Parents: The Possibles, though it becomes a lot more strained than it ever got on the show due to the nature of Kim's activities.
- Panty Shot: Kim flashes an entire dance floor by doing a handstand in a club at one point.
- Precision F-Strike: Kim occasionally curses now, but only when the situation really calls for it. And a few times when it doesn't.
- Really 700 Years Old: Corscan is apparently way older than 27.
- Required Secondary Powers: Shego's healing factor, while forcing her to drastically increase her food intake immediately after recovering from major damage, still requires far more energy than that caloric intake could provideóafter the fact. (Word of God: it draws on the self-replenishing cosmic energy she wields.) Also, her healing factor is selective and ďintelligent,Ē healing things like broken bones and perforated intestines to their proper, pre-injured states with no setting or rejoining required.
- Schedule Slip: Around 32 of the chapters were pre-written, with a few more being finished while those were getting posted, but after chapter 36, the wait between updates started getting rather long.
- Shown Their Work: Like you wouldn't believe. The entire story has near obsessive levels of detail applied to just about every subject to the point where it almost doubles as an educational experience.
- Super-Detailed Fight Narration: Fights are described with every punch, kick, block and stance used. Everything else has the same level of detail.
- Unstoppable Rage: Monkey Fist makes the mistake of triggering this in Kim by nearly killing Ron.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Impressively, the fic manages to retain this aspect of the show, unlike nearly every other story out there that lets it fall by the wayside (probably because it takes a certain talent to keep coming up with outlandish mission scenarios).
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Shego finds many different ways to utilize her powers, whether it's for heat, adding some extra impact to her punches, slicing things up, or even just drying herself off after taking a shower.