Fan Fic: Prince Of The Dark Kingdom
Prince of the Dark Kingdom
is a Harry Potter For Want of a Nail
fanfic under the premise that Voldemort
won the first Wizarding War. The nail seems to be
is that Harry's parents fled the country instead of staying at Godric's Hollow. Actually, the prophecy differs in wording
, prompting a different response from Harry's parents, and the difference in wording
apparently happened, because Carrigan became Voldemorts mentor, teaching him control and stopping him from becoming the Madman he was in canon
. Not being defeated by Harry, Voldemort wins the Wizarding War and takes over the country as its new ruler. Instead of killing all the Muggleborns, he implements a series of policies to better integrate them into wizarding society. When Muggleborns first display signs of magic, an official from the Wizarding Youth Reclaimant Agency is dispatched to relocate them to wizarding orphanages, wiping their Muggle parents of their memories of their child.
Harold James Potter, aka. Harry, is forced to live with the Dursleys
when his parents are killed by addicts robbing their home in Germany. When Harry's Jerkass
cousin Dudley mocks a portrait of his mother, Harry uses Accidental Magic in a fit of anger. Two days later, the WYRA arrives to reintroduce him to the Wizarding World and join the life his parents left behind, making new friends while meeting old relations and slowly carving out a place in the Wizarding World.
Page still work in process, please help with Wiki Magic
and add examples when you spot them.
Find it here
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: As their canon depictions, the Dursleys, but also Lucius Malfoy to Hermione, of the neglectful variety.
- Academy of Adventure: Hogwarts
- The Alcatraz: Naturally, Azkaban. Moody manages to escape in Harry's third year.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The higher-ranked people in Britain are inevitably Inner Circle Death Eaters who did well during the war. The best example is, naturally, Voldemort which makes you wonder why...
- Badass in Distress: Harry. Quite frequently, much to the consternation (and frustration) of Voldemort and Snape.
- Bi the Way: Voldemort casually mentions having slept with both Bellatrix and Rodolphus when the latter was still alive. And yes, 'with both' means 'at the same time'...
- Big Beautiful Woman: Queen Ophelia the IV, it's noted that despite being built like an opera singer but it doesn't detract from her beauty. Harry has a crush on her and Voldemort is considering "not killing her for a few decades".
- Catch Phrase: Several. Snape, for example is rather fond of: 'Optimism is for idiots.' Harry, on the other hand gets the oportunity to use the phrase: 'I misplaced myself again.' at least once a year, not counting the times several other characters have used it on him, including, but not limited to Snape and the Dark Lord.
- Character Development: Not a single character is a static one, but especially Harry and his friends and Ron evolve during the story.
- Crap Sack World: Played With: In the first book The Magical Britain is introduced as being under the totalitarian rule of You-Know-Who, of course it’s a Crap Sack World with an elitist hierarchy based on magical prowess, blood lines and sucking up to Voldemort. Harry and friends are crème de la crème of exclusive Hogwarts and even they can see past the False Utopia. However, the farther you get into the series, the more you find out about magical Britain, and that it is in fact much better off much than it was before, with many of the problems introduced in original canon, either have already been addressed or in the process of being addressed.
- This is the way how Magical Britain is viewed in Magical Germany due to propaganda and what Dumbledore tells Vicktor it has become. Then when Vicktor, actually visits the place he is surprised to not see that it wasn't a hell hole, and that many of the things he was told weren't true.
- Ultimately Subverted and Lampshaded by Harry who he points out that many of the muggleborns left magical Britain based on the assumption that Voldemort would kill them all off, if they stayed. Then due to the embargo on the magical UK, its likely that none of the British refugees know about its current state, and never returned. Its also pointed out that their societies aren't any better, although some of them like to pretend to be.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Voldemort is prepared to cut off the fingers of his mail sorters if he finds a love letter.
- Druid: Voldemort and Harry practice paganism.
- Eccentric Mentor: Dumbledore serves as this to Krum, rather than to Harry.
- Voldemort subverts this as he's not really eccentric.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It's mentioned that Harry has fanboys as well as fangirls.
- Evil Overlord: Voldemort
- Extreme Omnivore: Let's just say that there is a reason why Voldemort's pack name is 'Godeater'.
- Also, he ate Tom after boiling the meat in venom...
- The Extremist Was Right: It is constantly discussed how Voldemort has helped Great Britain.
- Friendly Enemy: Snape and Malfoy. Junior, that is.
- The Ghost: Arthur Weasley 'til he dies in Azkaban.
- Grammar: The writing is fluent, but there are lots of simple mistakes like typos, missing words and incomplete run-on sentences. Your/you’re, than/then and accept/except confusions are more serious errors, because they are so elementary. Additionally, sudden switches between past and present tense were jarring.
- Has Two Mommies: Natalie Cypher has two mommies, while Harry has two godfathers.
- Illegal Guardian: The Dursleys initially forced Harry to paint and sold his creations, while also starving him and allowing Dudley to bully Harry.
- In Spite of a Nail: Being a For Want of a Nail fanfic, this naturally happens. Examples include how the Chamber of Secrets is still opened in Harry's second year, a prisoner still escapes Azkaban in his third year, and the TriWizard Tournament is still held in his fourth year.
- The staff members at Hogwarts do not take up a too radical change. Snape, McGonagall, and Flitwick remain among others.
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Harry sincerely believes so.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: All WYRA children in Book 1 and several victims of the basilisk's attack paired with Fake Memories in Book 2.
- Military Maverick: Vesper Larousse used to be one.
- Negated Moment of Awesome: Harry's animagus transformation, twice!
- Oedipus Complex: Tom has one towards Harry and Voldemort. He outright calls Harry, his mother and Voldemort, his father and competitor.
- Original Character: A ton of them, and Justified by different people living and dying due to a change in victors.
- Pet the Dog: Voldemort
- Poisonous Person: Voldemort. While his touch isn't deadly his blood and other body fluids most certainly ARE. Which is the reason why Harry, along with his Godfathers, Luna and the resident Werewolf Goddess, are at the moment busy trying to get the blood he received from Voldemort, a few chapters back, out of his body as fast as possible...
- Rule of Symbolism: Every chapter title has some kind of reference to royals or fairytales (a prince, a king, a huntress etc).
- Animal Motifs: There are Snake King, Wolf King and Phoenix King thus far.
- Running Gag: Harry's complains about running out of unmarked skin and his tendency to acquire unusual and very noticeable scars.
- Save the Villain: Harry gives Voldemort a soul.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Some characters speak like they have remembered thesaurus by heart.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The fanfic’s greatest flaw is something as simple as lack of proper proofreading. See Grammar above.
- We Can Rule Together: Voldemort doesn't ASK Harry, per se. In chapter 104 he states however: "But what's the point of holding the world in your hand if there's no one worth showing it off to?" That makes it pretty clear, that he intends to keep Harry around.
- Why Did It Have To Be Water: Harry keeps almost drowning, made more ironic by the fact that it is his element.
- Would Hurt a Child: Voldemort’s Establishing Character Moment is crucioing 11-year-old Harry.