Fan Fic / Pokemon Academy: Dragon's Roar
Dragon's Roar is a fanfic by Flame Haze
set in the world of the Pokémon Academy, which focuses upon the college life of one trainer, Reggie, after he discovers a new species of Pokémon, named Chigon. However, things are made difficult as several trainers arrive to try and take Chigon and it's potential power. Now, Reggie must try and survive the battles over his new Pokémon and something far, far worse than them... the semester!
In Bulbagarden, it's acknowledged as the best fanfic set on the Pokémon Academy universe. ...Or So I Heard
Also notorious for winning the Best Original Character award (for Reggie Damon) at the Fall Fanfiction Awards at that forum.
It has now spanned a sequel called Pokemon Academy Year II:
Second Year RhapsodyYou may read it here.
This work contains examples of:
- A Boy and His X: What do you think that "Dragon" in the title means, anyways?
- Academy of Adventure: The name says it all
- Action Girl: Miko and Marie
- Aloof Big Brother: Reggie's older brother is rumored to be this, though he's only been mentioned once in an early chapter.
- Badass Normal: Jordan was able to hold out Incendio and Neptune on his own right even though he was the weaker of the group.
- Readers have also described him as a link to a normal character since he's the only one who isn't an amazing trainer or doesn't have a special kill or Pokemon that can help him win.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Chigon can seem pretty nice and cuddly, but when it evolves you better run for it
- Black Cloak: Zivok's normal attire.
- Bi Shonen: Fin and Darren
- Break the Cutie: Miko was broken pretty badly in chapter 33
- Berserk Button: Never mention his adopted brother Roger to Darren, you'll regret it
- Canon Foreigner: Brendan and Lucas are both based on main characters from the games
- A.D, who's quite literally from another canon.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Miko with her feelings for Reggie and Reggie with his feelings for Marie (though she spitted it out for him)
- Can'tCatchUp: Jordan was the only one of the group (next to Valerie) that didn't enter the finals of the tournament. This hits harder when he's the only member of the group not to be present for the final battle. And to make matters worse he was taken out of the sequel
- Chaste Hero: Subverted with Reggie, he gets romance he just doesn't get it when it's about him!
- Crossover: With fellow Bulbagarden Member Instrutilus' Travelsverse.
- Cute Bruiser: Miko, Marie qualifies for this too when she actually battles
- Chick Magnet: Though it is only stated once and with not much proof, this is apparently what Fin's social status in the academy is around the girls.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Jordan towards Valerie
- Chosen One: No it's not Reggie it's actually Chigon, apparently he has the spirit of some god inside him, Reggie's just there for the ride...or is he?
- Covert Pervert: Reggie doesn't want to admit that he might enjoy watching Valerie naked at times.
- Dark Is Not Evil: This is the case with Darren after his draw with Reggie in the academy tournament finals
- Darker and Edgier: To the Pokemon games considering trainers order for their Pokemon to attack other trainers and the Pokemon bleed just like humans do
- Deadpan Snarker: AD is always making comments about future plot events that might happen in the future
- Defeat Means Friendship: Jack was your usual bully at least till he was defeated by Reggie and Chigon, after that he became a member of the group and lost his cocky attitude. The same happened to Darren recently
- Disc-One Final Boss: There were a lot of antagonist throughout the series whether it was Darren, Zivok or Shroud. Finally at the end we find out that Charles was the real antagonist...only for him to get die and a new bad guy to be revealed in the epilogue.
- Double Entendre
- Dragonin Chief: Zivok originally acted as the main antagonist until Charles jumped into the picture. Even after this he was still a big part of his plot and was much more stronger than his brother.
- Enemy Within: Evil Reggie as shown in chapter 42
- Five-Bad Band
- Five-Man Band
- For the four strongest trainers the board would be this
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Not that The Radar(s) is (are) too strict...
- Made of Explodium: During the crossover, A.D briefly wonders if the world is this when he sees a Honchkrow explode.
- Hidden Depths: Jordan acts like a jerkass most of the time and when he's not he's usually just stupid but when he gets serious he can be just a good strategist as a profesionnal trainer.
- Mind Rape: Anyone that gets possessed by Shroud goes through tons of this.
- Reggie goes through one of these a lot; especially during his training in the dark cave.
- Ms.Fanservice: Though they have recently been introduced Stacy and Taisha might turned out to be this considering all the description to describes their...assets.
- Noble Demon: What Darren turns into after his Heel–Face Turn.
- Zivok seems to have aspects of this, or at least when it comes to Charles and anyone that shares a similar relationship with an older brother.
- Not Quite Dead: The epilogue reveals that Zivok was saved by someone named Noeh.
- Kissing Cousins: Reggie and Valerie. Apparently, it was Reggie's first kiss, too.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Well it is a school about Pokemon but strangely enough, before Chigon got there Reggie was probably the most ordinary student in the whole school considering he didn't care much about battling and stuff like that.
- Man Behind the Man: Charles turns out to be Zivok's older brother and the guy that's planned everything from day one, even summoning Shroud so that he could posses Miko.
- Recurring Boss: Originally Darren was this due to all the battles he had with Reggie, but as of chapter 30 Zivok's revealed to be this and that there's actually someone else behind all this
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Various cases, AD's blue for Reggie's red, Fin's blue for Jack's Red, Reggie's blue for Jordan's red and Miko's red for Marie's blue.
- On the villains side there's Incendio with red and Neptune with blue
- The Only One: Our unlucky protagonist is the only person that found Chigon as such he's the only person that can protect it from anyone that wants to steal its power.
- Sexy Mentor: The new teacher in Part 2 Stacy and Tasha seem to be this and neither of them seem to be ashamed.
- Superpowered Evil Side: When Chigon is powered with hatred, it evolves into Darkan and later on it evolves into Diabolo
- Tsundere: Marie.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: A normal day in Pokemon Elemental Academy either involves getting challenged by another student to a battle where you probably have to fight with a big crowd, going to some crazy adventure on another island, or getting chased by a psychopatic killer
- The End of the World as We Know It: According to the author this is how the world where the story takes place came to be this is also what could happen if Chigon fell in the wrong hands.