Fan Fic: Of Mares And Magic
Of Mares and Magic
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Shipping
Needs Wiki Magic
- Bad Ass: Twilight easily qualifies, as does Applejack. Given how she casually deals with Rainbow Dash, Trixie probably qualifies as well. By the time she's done her soul-searching quest, she definetly does. She fights Dragons.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Derpy ends up taking Trixie's side in the seventh contest because Trixie didn't gawk or make fun of her eyes when they first met.
- The Chessmaster: Twilight Sparkle seems to outdo even Celestia in this fic. She places Trixie's scry spell on a photo in Trixie's bag to listen in on her, faking Stalker with a Crush behaviour and invoking Loophole Abuse in order to test Trixie's determination and compassion for her. This shows up even earlier when she actually uses her magic at full power for once in the third trial in order to gain the rights to spend time with Trixie through more Loophole Abuse, so she can learn more about her and finally become friends with her.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Trixie.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Trixie Lulamoon. So, so much.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Derpy and Fluttershy became a couple after the former crashed into the latter's cottage and had to be nursed back to health.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: These are what Trixie ends up fighting when she leaves Ponyville to become stronger at magic.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Trixie pulls this on Twilight, because the title they're battling for requires the challenge to go walking the earth. Fortunately for her, Twilight has it all under control.
- Over Nine Thousand: At the tournament, Twilight's magic point average is revealed to be this.
- Recursive Fanfiction: The first chapter of The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments is set in this universe.
- Relationship Upgrade: Derpy and Fluttershy had this before the story began, as did Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. By the end of the story, Twilight and Trixie have gotten here as well.
- Secretly Dying: Trixie's dad was revealed to be this.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: "Whatever that was, it sure was a doozy!
- Serious Business: Titles are prestigious enough that there are formal rules regarding how they are transferred and competed for, and seventy unicorns end up competing for "Great and Powerful" in the tournament. And the subsequent victor will spend the rest of their life stalked by challengers. Said rules have a few useful loopholes to avoid most of the hassle, though.
- Shout-Out: Sprinkled throughout, including;
- Sea Pony Lyra makes an appearance.
- At one point, Trixie ends up heading into the Everfree Forest to find the CMC, and stumbles upon a certain village.
- I a minor form, the tournament roster contains several minor characters (Blueblood, Lyra, Vinyl Scratch and Moondancer) in order to give the competition more content.
- Stalker with a Crush: Twilight often comes across as this, she's not.
- Third-Person Person: Guess who...
- Walking the Earth: Trixie does this near the end of the story to become a more powerful unicorn. By the end of the fic, she has to do it again because it's a requirement of winning the title of Great and Powerful. Fortunately, Twilight pulls her Loophole Abusing Xanatos Gambit at this point.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Trixie is this to her father as part of her backstory as to why she was a bully.