Fan Fic / Maverick Hunter Quest
A quest/group-game on 4Chan's /tg/ board involving missions and adventures in the Mega Man X
You are Anode, A-Rank Hunter with the Maverick Hunters 4th Overland Division, and crazy awesome things are about to go down
. Set in the time period between Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3, Maverick Hunter Quest follows an original character newly assigned to the ground forces of the Maverick Hunters, his new colleagues, their crazy base life and the missions they undertake.
Full of colorful characters with distinct personalities, Maverick Hunter Quest takes on Gameplay and Story Segregation
and fleshes out the world of Mega Man X
from the perspective of Reploids, their lives and lifestyles, and the tangible impact of Maverick attacks. Chock-full of Fanon
created to support this deepened world, it's notable for having a high quality of storytelling and an oft-warped sense of humor. MHQ has even spawned fanart, which occasionally decorates threads alongside copious memes.The threads are archived
for easy reading, and while the update schedule has been erratic, MHQ is always a welcome site on /tg/ and has regulars who eagerly contribute to the madness.
Maverick Hunter Quest contains examples of:
- Ace Pilot: India.
- A Handful for an Eye: Chaff Weasel basically fights like this. Anode's Blackout Flare lets him do likewise.
- All Your Powers Combined: Played straight with X, but played with for hunters using VWES systems, who have a limit as to how many powers they can combine at a time.
- Alternate History: For the Mega Man franchise itself to some extent, incorporating hints of backstory and events that did not appear in the games.
- An Axe to Grind: The final enemy in the first part, Nicholz, wields a beam axe
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: Well what else did you expect?
- Animal Theme Naming: Likewise.
- Arm Cannon: Busters on most of the main cast.
- Ax-Crazy: Spin Jagwire.
- Badass: Most of the 4th Division.
- Badass Normal: Human Hunters, who are very rare and do the same job despite not being made of metal and immune to instant death from... pretty much everything.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Standouts include Spin Jagwire's razor-sharp wire and Solstrike Saetos with his feathers that eat dead Reploids to rebuild themselves.
- Barrier Warrior: Tumult Terapin.
- Blood Knight: Tigershark.
- Brother-Sister Team: Subverted. Anode and Cathode were made to fight together, but Cathode was assigned to the 1st and Anode to the 4th.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Almost everyone.
- Butt Monkey: Seven gets crap jobs like handling massive numbers of refugees and is also the victim of epic pranking.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Solstrike Saetos uses a swarm of attack feathers that "eat" Reploid body materials.
- City with No Name: Averted. Every location visited is a real-world city or country.
- Combo Platter Powers: Anode and other Hunters with VWES systems.
- Cool Old Guy: Crankshaft
- Data Crystal: Common feature of Reploids.
- The Dreaded: As far as any character knows, Sigma is dead and gone, but nobody ever treats him as a joke or as a degraded threat.
- Drop the Hammer: Hammer Frog.
- Dysfunction Junction: The 4th seems to attract oddballs, misfits and loons. Frog doesn't seem to want his job, Tigershark's overly fond of violence, Seven's a malcontent git, India's a grounded pilot, Emerald wants to catch up and Schwartz quit the top squadron to join up with that crowd.
- Face–Heel Turn: Guns Wallaby and other former Hunters gone Maverick.
- Fighting from the Inside: Part of the Canon Fodder added to the quest's version of the Mega Man X universe's background includes the viral takeover of Magna Centipede, who realized what was happening and permanently disabled his most dangerous weaponry.
- Final Boss: Nicholz for season one
- Flying Firepower: Solstrike Saetos
- The Ghost: Glacier Gibbon, who's on assignment...
- Good-Guy Bar
- Good Powers, Bad People: Guns Wallaby uses phase shots that can diffuse dangerous buster fire.
- Gravity Master: Apparently the trick of Vector Addax.
- Helping Would Be Killstealing: Averted on several partner missions.
- An Ice Person: Winter Wolfspider
- Idiot Hero: Anode's big stupid grin should telegraph this, but his plans occasionally veer into "dangerously stupid" territory.
- Large and in Charge: Rhodes is big.
- Lightning Bruiser: Tanker Tigershark is viciously fast. Anode himself sort of qualifies.
- Location Theme Naming: India.
- Mega Manning: Anode can emulate this to some degree using his VWES.
- Mooks: Uniquely, at the start of many missions Anode often gets his own. Most of the Mavericks have had them as well.
- Mini-Mecha: Ride Armor makes an appearance.
- Non-Standard Game Over: During the Saetos mission.
- Not Quite Flight: Vector Addax uses gravity manipulation to "fly"
- Person of Mass Destruction: Kiloton.
- Pop-Cultured Badass: Anode the movie buff.
- The Power of the Sun: Solstrike Saetos again.
- Rank Inflation: Discussed. Hunters have Ranks which correlate to their estimated ability to handle missions and targets. Mavericks have Classes which correlate to their potential to cause destruction and loss of life.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Reploids, of course, but endoconstruction lets them do some even more [[Robosexual ridiculously human things]].
- Rotating Protagonist: Attempted across a few threads. Wasn't well received.
- Satellite Character: Dash Dodo's rarely onscreen, and Overlock Conda is around but seems to exist to fill space.
- Shapeshifting: Winter Wolfspider has a humanoid mode
- Shock and Awe: Anode and Cathode both use electric weaponry.
- Stealth Expert: On the Hunter side of things, this is Schwarzhund's forte. For the Mavericks, both Chaff Weasel and Winter Wolfspider qualify.
- Step into the Blinding Fight: Anode's very first fight against a Maverick goes this way when the first thing Chaff Weasel does is shatter his optics.
- Super Prototype: In the simulation battle, Anode gets to experience first hand just how true this is of X.
- Theme Naming: Anode and his sister, Cathode.
- Vehicle Fu: Crankshaft's means of contributing to the war effort.
- World of Badass: Everyone on the main cast (and most of the side characters) can take down multiple killer intelligent robots.