A quest/group-game on 4Chan's /tg/ board involving missions and adventures in the Mega Man X
You are Anode, A-Rank Hunter with the Maverick Hunters 4th Overland Division, and crazy awesome things are about to go down
. Set in the time period between Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3, Maverick Hunter Quest follows an original character newly assigned to the ground forces of the Maverick Hunters, his new colleagues, their crazy base life and the missions they undertake.
Full of colorful characters with distinct personalities, Maverick Hunter Quest takes on Gameplay and Story Segregation
and fleshes out the world of Mega Man X
from the perspective of Reploids, their lives and lifestyles, and the tangible impact of Maverick attacks. Chock-full of Fanon
created to support this deepened world, it's notable for having a high quality of storytelling and an oft-warped sense of humor. MHQ has even spawned fanart, which occasionally decorates threads alongside copious memes.The threads are archived
for easy reading, and while the update schedule has been erratic, MHQ is always a welcome site on /tg/ and has regulars who eagerly contribute to the madness.
Maverick Hunter Quest contains examples of:
- Ace Pilot: India.
- A Handful for an Eye: Chaff Weasel basically fights like this. Anode's Blackout Flare lets him do likewise.
- Alternate History: For the Mega Man franchise itself to some extent, incorporating hints of backstory and events that did not appear in the games.
- Animal Theme Naming: Well what else did you expect?
- Ax-Crazy: Spin Jagwire.
- Badass: Most of the 4th Division.
- Badass Normal: Human Hunters, who are very rare and do the same job despite not being made of metal and immune to instant death from... pretty much everything.
- Blood Knight: Tigershark.
- Brother-Sister Team: Subverted. Anode and Cathode were made to fight together, but Cathode was assigned to the 1st and Anode to the 4th.
- Butt Monkey: Seven gets crap jobs like handling massive numbers of refugees and is also the victim of epic pranking.
- Cool Old Guy: Crankshaft
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Tumult Terrapin.
- Data Crystal: Common feature of Reploids.
- Drop the Hammer: Hammer Frog.
- Dysfunction Junction: The 4th seems to attract oddballs, misfits and loons. Frog doesn't seem to want his job, Tigershark's overly fond of violence, Seven's a malcontent git, India's a grounded pilot, Emerald wants to catch up and Schwartz quit the top squadron to join up with that crowd.
- Fighting from the Inside: Part of the Canon Fodder added to the quest's version of the Mega Man X universe's background includes the viral takeover of Magna Centipede, who realized what was happening and permanently disabled his most dangerous weaponry.
- The Ghost: Glacier Gibbon, who's on assignment...
- Good Guy Bar
- Idiot Hero: Anode's big stupid grin should telegraph this, but his plans occasionally veer into "dangerously stupid" territory.
- Large and in Charge: Rhodes is big.
- Lightning Bruiser: Tanker Tigershark is viciously fast. Anode himself sort of qualifies.
- Location Theme Naming: India.
- Mega Manning: Anode can emulate this to some degree using his VWES.
- Mooks: Uniquely, at the start of many missions Anode often gets his own. Most of the Mavericks have had them as well.
- The Obi-Wan: Schwartzhund has shades of this.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Kiloton.
- Pop Cultured Badass: Anode the movie buff.
- Rank Inflation: Discussed. Hunters have Ranks which correlate to their estimated ability to handle missions and targets. Mavericks have Classes which correlate to their potential to cause destruction and loss of life.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Reploids, of course, but endoconstruction lets them do some even more [[Robosexual ridiculously human things]].
- Satellite Character: Dash Dodo's rarely onscreen, and Overlock Conda is around but seems to exist to fill space.
- Shock and Awe: Anode and Cathode both use electric weaponry.
- Stealth Expert: On the Hunter side of things, this is Schwarzhund's forte. For the Mavericks, both Chaff Weasel and Winter Wolfspider qualify.
- Step into the Blinding Fight: Anode's very first fight against a Maverick goes this way when the first thing Chaff Weasel does is shatter his optics.
- Super Prototype: In the simulation battle, Anode gets to experience first hand just how true this is of X.
- Theme Naming: Anode and his sister, Cathode.
- Vehicle Fu: Crankshaft's means of contributing to the war effort.