Fan Fic / I Warrior
is a New Jedi Order Fan Fic
by Master Ghandalf
. It is set in an Alternate Universe
which diverges from canon following the events of The Unifying Force
and focuses heavily on Tahiri Veila, in an attempt to give a more fitting continuation of her storyline than she got in Legacy of the Force
and Fate of the Jedi
The story picks up about a year after the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war. Tahiri, still struggling with her dual human/Yuuzhan Vong nature, is plagued by nightmares of an alliance between the Yuuzhan Vong and the Sith. After seeking the guidance of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, she's thrown into a conflict with a group of Yuuzhan Vong renegades lead by a priestess who can, inexplicably, touch the Force- and her
master, a sickly, enigmatic being whose ragged robes hide many secrets.
This story contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: The whole fic is largely a response to the canon Aborted Arc of Tahiri's half-Yuuzhan Vong nature and possible destiny.
- Action Girl: Tahiri herself and Jaina, as per canon.
- A Day in the Limelight: In NJO canon, Tahiri sits right on the border between supporting character and main character, depending on the novel. Here, she's the central protagonist.
- Artifact of Doom: Palpatine's Holocron.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tahiri, Tahiri, Tahiri. Yeah, she's an idealistic, good natured, if rather playfully snarky, girl- but she's also a trained Jedi Knight and has a strong element of Blood Knight in her from her Vong side. Don't tick her off.
- Big Bad: The Master.
- Big Good: Luke Skywalker.
- Blood Knight: Tahiri has these tendencies, as a result of her shaping. She's (usually) pretty good about keeping a lid on it. Akhi Lian is a villainous version.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Pretty obvious with most of the Vong, especially Keenah, who's actually a pretty moral person, but has a serious lack of empathy for "infidels" and has no problem with death in even its most horrific forms, because she was raised in a culture where such things just aren't even issues.
- Body Horror: In addition to the usual Body Horror associated with the Yuuzhan Vong, the Master's body is literally rotting away while he's still alive because of Clone Degeneration.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Kizin Qel is... odd, to put it mildly. He's also a brilliant Master Shaper, even if he's not quite as good as he thinks he is.
- Came Back Wrong: The Master is a clone of Anakin Solo- that got accidentally fused with a Sith spirit before fully maturing, resulting in a being that isn't quite either, but is definiitely evil and dangerous. Oops.
- Clone Degeneration: The true nature of the Master's illness.
- Co-Dragons: Keenah and Akhi Lian, to the Master. Keenah eventually establishes herself as dominant.
- Dark Action Girl: Keenah.
- Dark Messiah: What Tahiri fears turning into. What the Master presents himself as though the truth is, he cares nothing for the Yuuzhan Vong cause.
- Deadpan Snarker: It's Star Wars- everyone has their moment to be snarky. Tahiri, by virtue of being the main character, probably gets the chance to be the snarkiest.
- Demonic Possession: Palpatine's spirit demands that the Master procure him a new body in return for his assistance. The Master gives him Tahiri- or at least, he tries too. Tahiri registers her objection rather definitively.
- Deuteragonist: Keenah, of the antagonistic variety.
- Electric Torture: Jaddek Hunner tortures Tahiri with Force lightning- or rather, he tries to. Thanks to being half-Vong, she's Too Kinky to Torture.
- Evil Counterpart: Keenah to Tahiri.
- Evil Mentor: The Master, to Keenah.
- Evil Sorcerer: The Master and Palpatine.
- Faux Affably Evil: The Master, after curing his illness and reverting to Anakin's appearance, is outwardly polite but still completely heartless.
- Find the Cure: The reason that the Master wants Palpatine's Holocron is so he can use its knowledge to cure his Clone Degeneration.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Five-Man Band:
- The Leader: Tahiri, by virtue of it being her visions that set everything in motion.
- The Lancer and The Smart Guy: Corran Horn.
- The Big Guy: Jaina (despite, ironically, being the shortest member of the main cast)
- The Heart: Ziil, or at least he tries to be. The others mostly think he's The Load until the end.
- Fix Fic: The author hates Tahiri's arc in the post-NJO era novels, and wrote this story as a result.
- Full-Name Basis: Most of the Yuuzhan Vong operate on this; it's most obvious with Ziil, because he's around humans the most.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Physically, Tahiri is 100% human. Mentally, she's half-Yuuzhan Vong and considers herself such.
- Hazy Feel Turn: Hassk's fundamental personality never really changes, but he ends up deciding he has a better chance of coming out alive helping the Jedi rather than the Vong.
- Heel–Face Turn: Keenah, at the end
- The Heroine: Tahiri
- Lizard Folk: Hassk is a Trandoshan. Saba Sebatyne, a Barabel, also appears in one chapter.
- Mad Scientist: Kizin Qel.
- Manipulative Bastard: The Master.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Keenah's reaction upon meeting Palpatine's spirit and realizing that Sith and Yuuzhan Vong philosophy maybe aren't so comparable after all...
- Noble Demon: Hassk has his moments, as does Keenah.
- Not So Different: Tahiri and Keenah. The Master tries to pull this on Tahiri as well after his real identity is revealed, but she rather definitively shoots the idea down.
- Non-Action Guy: Ziil.
- Off with His Head!: How Jaina kills Akhi Lian.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Palpatine's "ghost" isn't really him, just a far less powerful copy of his personality created by combining the dark side and holocron technology in a way to give it a degree of sentience and independence. In the absence of its creator, it still considers itself to largely be him, however.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Tahiri, Corran, and Jaina are all pretty short. Doesn't stopp all three of them from being powerful Jedi.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: All the Yuuzhan Vong, of course (counting Tahiri). Hassk is a slightly different flavor, more of a Proud Hunter Race Guy.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Hassk and his crew.
- Religion of Evil: The Sith and the Yuuzhan Vong's Great Doctrine are probably the two biggest examples from Star Wars canon. Here, they're teamed up. But they're not really all that compatible.
- The Remnant: The Yuuzhan Vong led by Keenah and Akhi Lian have allied with the Master because they refuse to accept the end of the war with the Galactic Alliance.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!/"World of Cardboard" Speech/"The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivered simultaneously by Tahiri to Palpatine's "ghost" at the climax.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Jadek Hunner, so much that Tahiri and Jaina hold a snarky running commentary at his expense while he's monologuing at the "captive" Jedi.
- Split-Personality Merge: Tahiri's still dealing with the aftermath of hers.
- Spiritual Successor: Intended as such to the Edge of Victory duology and The Final Prophecy, the NJO novels penned by Greg Keyes which heavily focused on Tahiri.
- Start of Darkness: The chapter "Rebirth" is a Whole Episode Flashback revealing Keenah's backstory.
- Stop Worshipping Me: As the Jeedai Who Was Shaped, Tahiri is a figure of great reverence among the Yuuzhan Vong Shamed Ones. She hates it.
- Too Kinky to Torture: "Kinky" may not be the right word exactly, but thanks to being half-Yuuzhan Vong mentally, Tahiri really doesn't have a "normal" human reaction to pain, as Jadek Hunner found out the hard way.
- Villain Team-Up: Faction example, between the Vong and the Sith.
- We Can Rule Together: Done by the Master towards Tahiri.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Jaddek Hunner was just barely Force-sensitive, enough to make him abnormally lucky but not give him any other abilities. When he gets his hands on Palpatine's holocron, it turns him into a much stronger darksider, but also pretty much destroys his sanity.
- Worthy Opponent: Keenah for Tahiri.