A U.S. animation and distribution company founded in 1980.Most famous for localizing the Toei Animation series GoLion to the United States back in the 80s, which became Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Voltron then went on to become a major pop culture icon, especially since it was the only mecha show on U.S. television (as opposed to being one of many back in Japan).The company is based in St. Louis, Missouri. It is owned by the Koplar family, the previous and founding owners of KPLR-TV, now the St. Louis The CW affiliate.
The company has produced the following:
- World Events, a current events production, and the company's first production.
- Voltron series
- Lion Voltron (from Beast King GoLion)
- Vehicle Voltron (from Dairugger XV)
- Voltron: the Third Dimension (a CG sequel to Lion Voltron, created by WEP), which won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Sound Editing, but has garnered mixed reactions from fans.
- Western Animation/VoltronForce (joint production with Kickstar Productions)
- Western Animation/VoltronLegendaryDefender (joint production with DreamWorks Animation Television)
- Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (from Sei Juushi Bismarck)
- Denver the Last Dinosaur (an original production by WEP)
- Vytor The Starfire Champion (another original WEP production)
- GoLion (as the U.S. licensor)
- Dairugger XV (as the U.S. licensor)