A U.S. animation and distribution company founded in 1980.Most famous for localizing the Toei Animation series GoLion to the United States back in the 80s, which became Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Voltron then went on to become a major pop culture icon, especially since it was the only mecha show on U.S. television (as opposed to being one of many back in Japan).The company is based in St. Louis, Missouri. It is owned by the Koplar family, the previous and founding owners of KPLR-TV, now the St. Louis The CW affiliate. Most of World Events' properties are currently licensed to DreamWorks Classics, a unit of Universal Studios.
The company has produced the following:
- World Events, a current events production, and the company's first production.
- Voltron series
- "Lion Voltron" (from Beast King GoLion)
- "Vehicle Voltron" (from Dairugger XV)
- Voltron The Third Dimension, a CG-Animated sequel to "Lion Voltron". It won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Sound Editing, but has garnered mixed reactions from fans.
- Voltron Force, a joint production with Kickstar Productions and Classic Media.
- Voltron: Legendary Defender, a joint production with DreamWorks Animation
- Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (from Sei Juushi Bismarck)
- Denver the Last Dinosaur (an original production by WEP)
- Vytor The Starfire Champion (another original WEP production)
- Widget The World Watcher (yet another WEP original)
- GoLion (as the U.S. licensor)
- Dairugger XV (as the U.S. licensor)